PDA

View Full Version : 1984 YTM200ER Firing Problem

Just-Tri-It
06-01-2008, 07:50 PM
I bought a 84 200e that was not running. The previous owner bought it at a state auction to get it running but wasn't mechanically inclined and couldnt fix it.. and I may not either. There's no fire to the plug though it will turn over like it wants to start with the battery and electrical start button. I replaced the coil and think its good. The old cdi had been spliced so much I got another used one for it. Only thing is, the original cdi had a 4 prong clip and 3 prong clip and a loose orange wire with a plug that went to the coil. The newer one had just two 4 prong clips with the orange with in one of them. So I cut this 4 prong off and spliced in the old 3 prong and put a plug on the orange wire to make it like the oem. I hope this doesn't effect the cdi by doing this.
Now is there a way to unhook the orange wire and hook a test light to it and other cdi wires to see if the cdi is good and then work back to see where the break down is?
What would be the natural order to test for the short or defective part. If I need to use a meter what does it need to be set on and which wires?
Thanks for any input.

Just-Tri-It
06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
If the stator is bad, will one off any other model fit it if I have trouble finding one for a 84?
Thanks.