PDA

View Full Version : Need help with CDI

xr497rider
06-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi guys!

I bought my first ATC ( '85 Big Red 250 ES) about 2 months ago as a non-runner. I only recently started working on her, and the trouble seems to be the CDI. The wiring harness is still in quite good shape, but the red/black wire from the alternator was cut. When I plug the CDI out, I have power on the red/black wire, but when I plug it back in, there is no power nowhere. I guess the CDI is dead, but I hope I'm wrong, because here in South Africa good ATC's are hard to come by!
Any help will be appreciated.

xr497rider
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Come on Guys, I really need to get this babe running! I also saw that there is no power on the pulse generator. HELP pleeease!

xr497rider
06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks John, been there, tried that, looks like I'll have to see if I can inrerchange CDI's with some other bike/trike/quad/whatever.

Henk

xr497rider
06-07-2008, 12:47 PM
WOW! John, I think I have a new best friend!
I have been busy fiddling with the XR500R this week in preparation for a 100 mile trial, so I haven't spent much time on the ATC, but I'll do a couple of tests next week and see what's happening. In the mean time you can post some more info on the rotor/stator/field coils if you please.

Thanks a million!

xr497rider
06-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks John, but I have trouble reading the print, my PC is a bit outdated. You can't perhaps scan the pages and then post? I really appreciate your help.

Henk

xr497rider
06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Aaaargh! I don't have Pay pal or a credit card, so I can't download. I can't believe that c44 is keeping me from my manual. In the mean time I'll see what I can sort out with the info that you sent me.

Thanks

xr497rider
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey guys!

Dammit is the best! I don't care to which political party Dammit belongs, but I nominate him for PRESIDENT!

Thanks Dammit for making your manuals available for downloading, as soon as I have the right testing equipment, I'll have this babe up and runnin'. Thanks also to John for your help.