PDA

View Full Version : Trikes with winches

hondahaulic
05-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Anybody else have a trike with a winch? Post up if you do. I just bought some used offbrand 3000lb. one that I plan to put on my 200es.

I don't know alot about them, and it doesn't look like this one comes with any wiring. If it freespools the cable out, wiring should be pretty simple, right? Just a heavy positive lead coming from the battery going to a solenoid, and from the solenoid to the winch with a small toggle to operate the solenoid?

I plan on putting this on my front rack. I haven't looked at it alot yet, but I'm sure atleast the mouning points will need beefed up where the rack mounts to the front forks. Does anyone see any problems with this? Will my steering stem bearings handle this if their tight and in good shape?

Tecate250
05-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Winches belong on a heavy golf cart. The winch will only make you get stuck more. Plus what about wheelies?

hondahaulic
05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Overall I dont think its going to add too much weight. If it does, I might make it easy to unbolt and remove so I can put it on when I plan on needing it. I'm sure I'll still be able to wheelie all I want. I ride by myself quite a bit and I have had to get myself unstuck by hand way too many times.

01ps
05-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Anybody else have a trike with a winch? Post up if you do. I just bought some used offbrand 3000lb. one that I plan to put on my 200es.

I don't know alot about them, and it doesn't look like this one comes with any wiring. If it freespools the cable out, wiring should be pretty simple, right? Just a heavy positive lead coming from the battery going to a solenoid, and from the solenoid to the winch with a small toggle to operate the solenoid?

I plan on putting this on my front rack. I haven't looked at it alot yet, but I'm sure atleast the mouning points will need beefed up where the rack mounts to the front forks. Does anyone see any problems with this? Will my steering stem bearings handle this if their tight and in good shape?

I just installed a winch on my 250es. I made it easily removable with a pin, and I can put it on the front or rear in a few seconds. I can post some pics if you like. It hasn't been cleaned up or painted yet, but you'd get the idea. Took a bit of welding and metal fab to make it, but nothing anyone with a small wire feed welder couldn't do.

Tecate250
05-31-2008, 11:45 AM
That is what The big dogs should be doing to all there atvs. I have seen situations that a winch will do you no good. But for using it with a plow would be cool. I wonder where you could take a big red with a winch?

hondahaulic
05-31-2008, 12:31 PM
I just installed a winch on my 250es. I made it easily removable with a pin, and I can put it on the front or rear in a few seconds. I can post some pics if you like. It hasn't been cleaned up or painted yet, but you'd get the idea. Took a bit of welding and metal fab to make it, but nothing anyone with a small wire feed welder couldn't do.

I really like the idea of being able to move it to the front or rear, I didn't think of that before. If you want to snap a few pics of it that would be great.

01ps
05-31-2008, 01:49 PM
I really like the idea of being able to move it to the front or rear, I didn't think of that before. If you want to snap a few pics of it that would be great.

I wired mine direct to the pushbutton switch that came with the winch, a giant forward and reverse handle. I took the giant handle apart and mounted the switch only on the handle bar with zip ties, and ran both + & - 10g wire to the switch. That is if you want power in and out. I covered the top switch with tire tube so that it is more water/dust proof. I also added a toggle to the in so that I can let the winch work by itself without my holding the button down, so I can push the trike or keep tension on the lead to wind it up tight. I put master switch behind the side cover of the trike also, so that the toggle couldn't be accidentally engaged and cause damage. I also added an LED light to the "dash" of the trike to show when the master power is on. It's all a bit of overkill maybe, but I had fun doing it, and it works well.

I will post the pics later today.

01ps
05-31-2008, 03:18 PM

here are some pics, hope you can get the general idea from them. Like I say, I just did it last week and it needs to be cleaned up and painted so it is kinda ugly. Also, I just used some stuff I had laying around, so it is a bit crude, but it could be done very nice now that I know it works.

The winch is mounted on a plate, and has a wide "hook" that goes over one of the bars on the rack. I welded 1" square tubing to the plate in 2 places (one is in a position for the front rack, one for the rear), and then 2 peices to the front and rear racks for the pin to go through. You could probably make a bracket if you didin;t want to weld to the rack. The pin is 3/4" I think. I used household plugs for quick connectors.

You just hook the front over the bar, drop the rear in between the two pieces of 1" tubing, and slide the pin through, drop the cotter in, and plug the plug. Takes 10 seconds.

It is plenty strong enough, I dragged my trike with all brakes locked and me (220lbs) with no problems, and then hung the trike from a tree, all by the front rack.

I plan on building a plow at some point also.

01ps
05-31-2008, 03:21 PM
more pics of the winch

McDerry
05-31-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd probally plan to upgrade the household plugs to a higher amp unit at some point. There only good to 20 so amps and that winch under full load will draw mroe then 20 amps. Would hate to burn up the bike. They make quick disconnects for electric power equipment (fork trucks) that work the same.

dizasterzrfun69
05-31-2008, 06:53 PM
i know a guy who has a couple 2000lb hampton winches with wireless remotes. i thought about getting one but decided i dont have a good place/machine for it. i can get them SUPER cheap though if anyone is interested.

hondahaulic
06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, I got the winch on and a new battery and it seems to work great. I don't notice the weight there at all, and I can still wheelie all I want. It probably weighs around 15 lbs. The only thing that I don't like about it right now, is that it came with no wiring so I did it with a simple toggle switch and an old car starter solenoid. In order to make the motor switch directions, I have to un-do 2 wing nuts and switch the 2 cables that hook up to the electric motor. What would I have to do to make it auto in and out with just a switch?

It slipped my mind and I never took a good pic of it showing how it mounts up, but heres one pic i took.

trikes4life
06-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, I got the winch on and a new battery and it seems to work great. I don't notice the weight there at all, and I can still wheelie all I want. It probably weighs around 15 lbs. The only thing that I don't like about it right now, is that it came with no wiring so I did it with a simple toggle switch and an old car starter solenoid. In order to make the motor switch directions, I have to un-do 2 wing nuts and switch the 2 cables that hook up to the electric motor. What would I have to do to make it auto in and out with just a switch?

It slipped my mind and I never took a good pic of it showing how it mounts up, but heres one pic i took.

Hondahaulic i tell alot of people about this pic, and they dont belive me so i save this pic, hope u dont mind.

01ps
06-18-2008, 08:34 AM

The switch that came with mine somehow reverses polarity inside it. You run positive and negative to the switch, and then to the winch. I think you should be able to find and actual winch switch somwhere???? Or you could buy one of those remote switch kits, some of them are not that expensive. It should have everything you need to make it in and out.

I tried to figure out how to wire simple 50a toggles that would allow me to reverse and forward, but I could not find anything that would work.

firehart
06-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Who said trikes don't grow on trees? Aren't you glad you didn't pick it when it was green?