PDA

View Full Version : Grease INSIDE a transmission

jaykup
05-29-2008, 07:04 PM
So my friend is putting together his Tri-Z transmission (ran out of oil and seized second gear to the shaft, put another shaft and gears into it.

When he re-assembled, he used about 1/4 of a tube of grease on the gears and shafts.

To me, this seems like a very bad idea, gunking up and blocking oil ports.

Any thoughts?

bearclawchris
05-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I am no expert , but I have worked on alot of things. I think shafts and bearings on most any transmission or engine are of a tight enough tolerance that anything heavier than say 80/90 gear lube would be pushing it and asking for trouble. Gearcases in say a two stroke polaris call for very little and very light oil. I would think this could be asking for trouble. Lets see what the general consensus is.

The Goat
05-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I know guys who use petroleum jelly by the jug when assembling an engine...so idk.

I would have to say he overdid it though, I typically put a lite coat of assembly grease on piston, cylinder, cam, rockers, and so on.

Probably less than a teaspoon.

toocheaptosmoke
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I would not do that, the grease may "clog" everything up as said before. When I rebuilt my jeep's tranny there was a specific warning to NOT use regular axle grease for assembly. The heavy grease does not dissolve and plugs oil passages and sheds oil from bearing surfaces. Petroleum jelly will dissolve more readily and still give enough tack and lube for assembly.

300rman
05-30-2008, 12:35 AM
many lawn mower trannies are filled with grease instead of oil.

McDerry
05-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Once it heats up it will run off the gears like oil.

Curtis-Tecate3
05-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't know about you but I would say to be prepared to change clutch plates after the first ride....

Curtis

WIkid500
05-31-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.lubriplate.com/products/greases/no-105-motor-assembly-grease.html

Thats what you want to use. This stuff is golden when putting engines, transmissions, and rear ends together.

money89tractors
05-31-2008, 01:55 PM
many lawn mower trannies are filled with grease instead of oil.

True, but if you look at these mower trannies, theyre so badly underdrivin that the dont need hadly and lube. If you pull one apart, youll see that all the grease has been pushed away from the gears and just sits there.

I know a thing or 2 about making lawn mowers run 50mph +, and the first thing to do to them is replace the grease in the tranny with a lighter 00 gear oil.

Jay, I think you buddy is asking for trouble usisng grease in the tranny.

-Phil

300rman
05-31-2008, 06:25 PM
True, but if you look at these mower trannies, theyre so badly underdrivin that the dont need hadly and lube. If you pull one apart, youll see that all the grease has been pushed away from the gears and just sits there.

I know a thing or 2 about making lawn mowers run 50mph +, and the first thing to do to them is replace the grease in the tranny with a lighter 00 gear oil.

Jay, I think you buddy is asking for trouble usisng grease in the tranny.

-Phil

i know, im just saying. too much could clog stuff, but a light coat on stuff cant hurt.

fast lawn mowers are fun. used to make em go 25-30 before we started gettin real toys. posi-rear ends for grass donuts and driftin, and whatnot. all using stock drivetrain components, just different pulleys.