PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200S - what a blast!

MotorCity
05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Took my Honda 200S up north to East Jordan, Michigan to visit a friend, do some walleye/pike fishing, drink beer, make fires, and ride like hell on his land.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, still have my KTM 300 EXC and Honda 300XR (250 bored out to 300 courtesy of thumper racing), but damn, I had a riot on this 200s this weekend.

He's got a big hill out behind his place, and I"m amazed at the ridiculous torque in first gear on this 3-wheeler. I practically "idled" up his hills? Seriously, I was only using what seemed like 1/4 inch throttle, bouncing over stumps, deadfall, etc., climbing straight up this damn near wall. NOTHING WOULD STOP THIS THING!!

I was considering selling this thing, as it was a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* to start last winter (I bought it for ice fishing to pull my sled, etc), but I had a riot on this thing this weekend, making my own trails, mud, hill climbing, etc.

My buddy, who used to be good on these things, tried to climb the hill in 3rd gear, stalled it, and it rolled back on him . He tried to duck out of the way, and my back rack caught him in the thigh. He said it felt like someone punched him in the thigh and charleyhorsed him. It bent my handlebars and spilled gas out as it rolled down, but started right up. He wouldn't get on it after.

I do realize "lots of body english" are required on these things if you want to have fun and not get hurt.

What a blast! I love old school!!

ScottZJ
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
You know sometimes the most simple things in the world, are the most fun. You know you buy a kid a high dollar gift but yet they love the box or paper instead! LOL Its the same thing, you have a super nice bike or maybe other trikes, but you get the old beater or small trike and have a blast on it. I had a 200s years ago and just as you said, it was a blast to ride. Nothing special just down right fun. Keep that sucker for future rides and enjoy.............peace

Oh side note: You gotta love the KTM 300exc......killer bike for sure!

TrailerRider
05-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I got an 84 200s. In my eyes it is a low end torq monster. I have climbed many a hill fast and slow. Made my own trails and drove through water that was up to the seat. Hell I crarry tow ropes, fishing poles, battery power backup lights, small air compressor, tent, sleeping bags, tools and some odds and ends like drinks etc. 200s rule! Keep that baby rolling man!

Here is a video of one of the last puddle runs this past winter. I wish I had video of the water to the seat but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc9Dtv3p2Rs

MotorCity
05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks Scott - I love my 300EXC, though I havent got a chance to ride it yet this year. I need a new piston and ring, its finally time to replace.

My XR300R is all new (fresh engine), so I've been riding this bike. But my 200s is "new" to me, and its unique, and so damn fun! But like I said, you have to ride this thing "different" than a bike, much more body english, especially to turn this.

01ps
05-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Took my Honda 200S up north to East Jordan, Michigan to visit a friend, do some walleye/pike fishing, drink beer, make fires, and ride like hell on his land.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, still have my KTM 300 EXC and Honda 300XR (250 bored out to 300 courtesy of thumper racing), but damn, I had a riot on this 200s this weekend.

He's got a big hill out behind his place, and I"m amazed at the ridiculous torque in first gear on this 3-wheeler. I practically "idled" up his hills? Seriously, I was only using what seemed like 1/4 inch throttle, bouncing over stumps, deadfall, etc., climbing straight up this damn near wall. NOTHING WOULD STOP THIS THING!!

I was considering selling this thing, as it was a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* to start last winter (I bought it for ice fishing to pull my sled, etc), but I had a riot on this thing this weekend, making my own trails, mud, hill climbing, etc.

My buddy, who used to be good on these things, tried to climb the hill in 3rd gear, stalled it, and it rolled back on him . He tried to duck out of the way, and my back rack caught him in the thigh. He said it felt like someone punched him in the thigh and charleyhorsed him. It bent my handlebars and spilled gas out as it rolled down, but started right up. He wouldn't get on it after.

I do realize "lots of body english" are required on these things if you want to have fun and not get hurt.

What a blast! I love old school!!

Had my 250es out for the first "real" ride last weekend. Couldn't keep up speed wise with my brother in laws 4-wheeler Kodiak 4x4 on the rough trails (suspension wouldn't let me fly down rough trail as fast) or my friends KTM 520 bike (go figure), but on the flat it was a bit faster than the quad, and on the sand hills it went everywhere the quad went and only was stopped on the same steep hill the quad was. It was, as you said, a blast. Plus mine was $900, his was $5000+

McDerry
05-31-2008, 06:32 PM
the yammi is that slow??

WaimakRydah
06-01-2008, 06:13 AM
My 85 200S is a beast they are heaps of fun in mud too