PDA

View Full Version : Pilot screw not working

Hayward
05-28-2008, 01:09 AM
I just rebuilt my '85 Big Red and today received a new battery bought on fleabay. I had put off setting the idleing until now because of kick starting was no easy task with my bum foot. Installed battery, let it warm up to start setting idle, it blew the 20A fuse. I just straped it to continue my work and took it for a mile ride and came back to adjust the pilot screw. I turned it in expecting to kill the engine and it had no effect on the motor after screwing it all the way in. BTW - I did put and after-market carb kit on it before installing. I don't think I put the pilot screw in wrong. Could this be trash from somewhere causing this ?

Hayward
05-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I went ahead and took the carb off and cleaned it again and hope that takes care of thr pilot jet problem. I used some gasket material I had and made a exhaust gasket during rebuild. Neesless to say, it burnt out and I had to pull the pipe back off. What type of material can I use or do I need to just visit Honda for a gasket for my BR ?

Hayward
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I have cleaned out the carb for the third time and still, the pilot screw has no effect on the idle. The only thing I can think to do now is drill out the plugs and try clean more internal parts the has it stopped up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated !

TravEX
05-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Can you blow it out good with an air compresser? What do you mean drilling the plugs? jets? Will the BR start and idle fine? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hayward
05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Can you blow it out good with an air compresser? What do you mean drilling the plugs? jets? Will the BR start and idle fine? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have blown it out, every time I've cleaned it. The carb plugs are the little "bb" plugs on the side to open those passages, then replug them. It does idle but, there is no adjustment with the air/pilot screw. I was just going by the Clymer's manuel trying to set it. It blackens the plug bad when idling.

SWIGIN
05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
if it runs fine with it turned in the whole way will it run with it out the whole way?

if so id say that port is cloged or part way cloged enough for it to run half decent.....all i can say is get that port 100% cleaned out

compare the old air scew to the new one....maybe they are different. unless the old one is rotted away it should be ok to use