PDA

View Full Version : 250r slop in rear axle/swingarm?

WEATHERBY460
05-26-2008, 09:48 AM
I have some side to side slop in the rear of the swingarm where the axle runs thru
it...is this normal, or should this be fixed. If so, what parts will I need,

thanks

oldsking86
05-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Sounds like carrier bearings are need or replacing.. or check the axle nut see if it is on firmly. I still think you should get some carrier bearings.

WEATHERBY460
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
how tough of a job is this?

charger
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
to change the bearings u gotta take the chain and a wheel off to slide the axle out

Dirtcrasher
06-01-2009, 04:04 PM
how tough of a job is this?

Are you smart? Do you have good tools? Do you have a manual? Do you have oxy/acetylene? Do things usually go your way or usually break??

Depending on what shape the trike is in, axles CAN slide right out, or be a complete horror show. Most people don't even have a wrench large enough to loosen the lock nut.

You'll also need a way to press in new bearings, there much too big for any sockets......

It's a 5 out of 10 in the difficult scale, but it can go either way.

Red Rider
06-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I have some side to side slop in the rear of the swingarm where the axle runs thru

thanksBefore you jump headfirst into replacing the carrier bearings, are your rear wheel hubs tight?

Mosh
06-01-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=96451

philmoore
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM

thanks

Please don't use a pipe wrench on the axle nuts. :(

I have two extra large open end adjustable (crescent) wrenches I use for axles. I got them from Northern Tool. They are made in China (eh, er, inexpensive) but they haven't broken yet. One has a 24 inch handle, the other is 18 inch. These wrenches have not met an axle nut too tough yet!

You are embarking on a truly miserable job. I have done this at least a dozen times and it has never been easy or fun.

It'll be a good experience for you! :beer

Wear some gloves so you don't rip any skin open.

Loosen(dont remove) the right wheel hub nut first.

Leave the wheels on the axle until you get it loose to help keep the trike stable while you are reefing on stuff.

I made a "hub holder" out of 1/4 inch plate steel. The holder is 1/4" by 4" by about 24" long. I drilled holes in it so it fits onto the lug bolts for the wheel. Remove the wheel, install the holder tool and let the end rest on the ground so you can wrench the main axle nut loose (the fat one that puts pressure on the snap ring)

If you get hurt easily, or have little or no patience, don't try this job.

harryredtrike
06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
doing them are not that hard if you have moderate mechanical skills.its a cheap fix also.20.00-25.00 for bearings and seals.can be issues as DC said hopefully you dont have them all.could be an hour job or 6 hour job.but doable

ceaserthethird
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Dude it's a year later that you still haven't replaced your bearings ? ? ? ?

Wait couple more years ...