PDA

View Full Version : fixed, new pics.

factoryX
05-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I finally got to test my 85 motor back last sunday and it was running great until it started acting funny. it would go fine with the throttle and then it would act like it was running out of gas. It was not hard to see that it over heating pretty bad, so parked it and took it home. I checked compresion and it is still at 170 psi and it turns over great, but it only runs normal when it is on choke. Can you tell me my problem? oh, and I am still running stock carb.

lndy650
05-24-2008, 07:48 PM
try cleaning the carb for a start. it sounds like its running lean which would make it run hot explaining the overheating problem...

ceaserthethird
05-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Make sure their's no junk in the gas tank ( look with a flash light ), make sure the fuel pump is working or rebuild it, clean the carb and try again.

Did you replace the Reeds or inspect them yet ?

Erics350x
05-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Dont keep running it or you'll be rebuilding it! As stated above, clean the carb first, if that doesn't solve it rebuild the fuel pump.

factoryX
05-26-2008, 03:25 AM
ok, I have already gone through the fuel pump so there should not be any trouble there, I will get the carb cleaned as soon as possible. I have not looked in the gas tank yet, I will also do this pronto.

Nick_R_23
05-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Check your petcock on the tank and fuel lines for blockage also, my carb and tank were sparkling clean on my Big Red but the petcock was so full of junk it was amazing enough gas got thru to run. It would idle ok but once it got into 1/2-full throttle ranges it would really cut out.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

1985 honda man
05-26-2008, 03:43 AM
cooling fins??? need oil/not enough?

factoryX
05-26-2008, 04:24 AM
cooling fins??? need oil/not enough?

All of that has been gone through, I am rebuilding this trike so I am fixing it one step at a time. I put the whole bike together with in 1 1/2 hours, and a lot of things came from my 86 tri-z, after somebdy bent the hell out of it. The only thing I have left is the pipe seal, flush out rads, new silencer(old one works but looks ugly), new rear fenders, and update the bike with newer parts...

ceaserthethird
05-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Post some pictures !

factoryX
06-07-2008, 06:25 AM
camera broke sorry. So I cleaned the carb out and Even brought up to notches to richen it up. doing the same damn thing! I even checked if it was sucking air from behind the stator by trying to wiggle the fly wheel, it has no play on it what so ever. I have cleaned the fuel pump also... I even switched my other pump which was being used before I got the motor and frame.

Could this be a reed issue? grrr.... This is what I get for having a low hour motor!

motor has sat for the last 10-15 years, I have cleaned out stator so that is not a problem getting blue spark. has old water pump seal but still holding fine. everthing on the bike is tight and ran nicley before.

money89tractors
06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
water pump. . .

-Phil

ceaserthethird
06-08-2008, 04:44 AM
did you buy the motor local or ?

factoryX
06-08-2008, 09:58 PM
no I bought it oakridge oregon, you know, where that kid got ducked tape to a chair by the teacher. lol. I got it already mounted in the frame with no carb and all I did was take all the stuff off my messed up 86 to the 85 frame. It runs great, and it looks like it sat for 20 years.

factoryX
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
okay, it is an 85 frame and forks with a 86 motor and swing arm. 10' banshee rims with polished banshee rear hubs.

I need plastics and other little things, runs fine.