PDA

View Full Version : Twist, or thumb throttle for a 350X

tanks350x
05-24-2008, 08:13 AM
I just picked up a twist throttle made by EMGO. I was just wondering if any of you would recomend this or reject the idea all together, and maybe give me some pros. and cons about it. Thanks
TANK

Dirtcrasher
05-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Some guys love em and some hate em.

The way you slide into corners - I feel it's difficult to twist a throttle while hanging off to the sides. I seem to have much better control with a thumb throttle.

You just have to try it out and see if you like it Tank.....

tanks350x
05-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks Steve for taking time out of your busy scedule-build to reply:naughty:

smvorndran
05-24-2008, 08:43 PM
2 strokes are dangerous with twist throttles. 4-strokes with twist throttles are manageable. A 350X wouldn't be too bad. I had a Yamaha Blaster quite a few years ago that had a twist throttle. I was doing donuts, it bit, and launched my butt off the back before I knew what hit me. I swore I'd never have another twist throttle on an ATV. I ended up buying a Yamaha Warrior a few years ago, and it had a twist throttle, and I really liked it. You'll know after a few rides if you like it or not.

smvorndran

tanks350x
05-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the reply smvorndran, let me start by telling you that I indeed mounted it up, got it all adjusted nice, made sure there were no kinks, glitches or what have you. I go out in my field and figured I'd try a couple of wheelys. Me being an inexperienced rider went waaay over my head and the bike got away from me, threw me off, the seat and fenders went one way,,,,,<------ and the rest of the bike went the other----------> lol,, It bent the handlebars into the tank,, (big dent) broke the EMGO twist throttle, the brass fitting that holds the cable,not sure if I'm gonna hunt down the part to repair it yet , bent the grab bar, and scuffed up the brand new DG pipe that I just put on a week ago... Oh yea, did I mention the 6 inches of road rash just above the crack of my A double crooked letters? lmao.. Live and learn I guess:(

oldsking86
05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
lol luckily you were ok man.. Yea the twisty is for a certain crowd who desire it really... Dirtbikes run them and I won't lie, I had a difficult time when I used to ride my dirtbike running a twistie in certain terrains.

I recommend pictures of the the damage sustained to the the bike :) Ride on bro!

smvorndran
05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah. It sounds like it's time to take it off. Ouch!

smvorndran

whyzee
05-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah. It sounds like it's time to take it off. Ouch!

smvorndran

I almost killed myself within 50 yds on an 86 250r with a twisty. I would consider myself an expert rider also. Bike completely got away from me was in a full wheelie about to head over a 60ft cliff, full throttle and I couldnt let go. Was able to instinctivly pull the clucth in and hit the rear brake to bring her down. Scared the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* out of me, had no Idea how I saved it until I really thought about it, never again!!!!!!:crazy: Funny thing about it was the guys bike it was said " WOW I guess you can ride" meanwhile I was totally out of control :beer

DeePa
05-25-2008, 11:46 AM
i tried to ride a yz 80 with a twist throttle and almost dumped it 6 times

ill never have one on a trike, quad or that sort, and i never plan to ride a dirtbike ever again

glad you are ok. start ordering up some parts for that x. We gotta get a northeast ride going. Look up NH threads in local riding. Some mentioning of Mt Washington on july 27th, as well as other random rides. I like to get out at least once a month, and im really happy if i get out twice. Only problem is that you need 2 tri-z's to be able to get out twice a month...

Billy Golightly
05-25-2008, 01:51 PM
:lol: @ all the twist throttle stories, they really are not that bad guys. They take a little bit of getting use to but vastly better once your adjusted to them.

nate b
05-25-2008, 09:18 PM
hope none of you guys ever get a motorcycle, hate to see ya hit a speed bump in a parking lot and wheelie into a couple parked cars because of a twist throttle.

If you cant control a bike because of a twist throttle, your gonna have alot more crashes ahead of you anyways due to other things. I'd suggest down sizing the machine.
I can ride one handed wheelies with a twist throttle.

TrikesRule_FOOL
05-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm guessing trying wheelies out of the gate with any type of new throttle system isn't a bright idea. Once you get use to a twisty you'll never go back. I run a motion pro twisty on the 250R. For long rides it's way more comfortable. You just need more experience with a twist throttle. I have had scares with both types. I actually got my finger stuck between the grip and thumb mechanism on my 225DR and nearly wheelied out of control be cause I couldn't let off the gas. When I was a kid the first 2 stroke I rode was a CR80 with a twist grip first time experience with both. I wobbled the CR up this washed out river bed and when I got to the top, I dropped my arm in relief and the power band kicked in. well I was hanging on like super man, my belly across the seat my feet flapping in the breeze. I some how manged to pull my self back up on the bike without crashing.

tanks350x
05-25-2008, 09:56 PM
:lol: @ all the twist throttle stories, they really are not that bad guys. They take a little bit of getting use to but vastly better once your adjusted to them.I Guess I should've had a little more experience under my belt before trying something different.. Me being more of a motorcycle rider, it just made sence to have a twisty on it:)

McDerry
05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't know guys, you must have weak wrist or something. I run an EMGO twist throttle on my 200s and it works really well.

whyzee
05-26-2008, 06:11 AM
hope none of you guys ever get a motorcycle, hate to see ya hit a speed bump in a parking lot and wheelie into a couple parked cars because of a twist throttle.

If you cant control a bike because of a twist throttle, your gonna have alot more crashes ahead of you anyways due to other things. I'd suggest down sizing the machine.
I can ride one handed wheelies with a twist throttle.

:w00t: hats off to ya!!! I raced expert motocross untill 2002 District 34 so I can use a twist with the best of them
, twisty on a 250R....whew, different beast..lol must just take time getting used to, but they are a handfull with a thumb throttle on the dirt around here.....unless you sissys are lucky enough to be riding glamis or some other sand dunes, stick with the thumb.... Around here the dirt is nothing but traction

Billy Golightly
05-26-2008, 09:45 AM
See to me any of the new EFI fourstroke bikes with a twist is a lot more "dangerous" and hard to ride then one on a trike. The fuel injection is so quick and snappy if your wrist moves a .00001 of an inch its torquin you around. But thats me :)

DIGGER DOG
05-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Well Ive got twists on my 84 200x gonna do them on my 350X projects and I have one on my 250R that really inint ridable right now $$$$$$$ for all projects needed
I find that if you adjust free play a few mm. about say an inch you should be good at least im ok with it if you have no free play your asking for trouble on a trike I have the 1/4 twist turbos that is you twist 1/4 inch and your @ W.O.T. with quite a bit of free play now on my CB900F that is E.F.I. I have almost no free play as its fuel injected and I find riding with less free play my shift points are smoother .

YTM200BOY
05-26-2008, 12:00 PM
i like the thumb its much easier but the twist is alot cooler!

gotballs 250r 82
05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Well that is funny you all are on this subject . I have a twist on my 250r /3oo big bore kit and i have been riding a long while. And about 3 weeks ago i say lets go riding. So we go im riding rippin up throw the trails with my 16 year old girl behind me on the blaster im pullin wheelies well coming back i pull one more and bam. im on the back bar and when it hits my hand nails the twisty throttle power band kick in and it just was so fast and now i have hurtin maybe fractured tail bone. But i still like the twisty. Bike was good just broken headlight plastic and bent bars. It is all what you prefer maybe now that your throttle is broke you should try a thumb throttle well good luck..... :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn

RUTHLESS
05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Thumb-4 Life

I Have Ridden Just About Everything On 2-3 & 4 Wheels
And Unless Its Only Got 2-wheels I Use Thumb
My Trx250r Had A Twist On It When I Bought It & It Was F**king Scary

Nick_R_23
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I used to hate the twist on everything but dirtbikes and motorcycles, and when I got my 250r, it had a twist and I wasnt sure I wanted to keep it on, especially since I was coming off the 200 atc's and going straight to a liquid R with milled head. I tried it out, and the first ride I managed to nearly throw myself off the back, come off a bump and nearly WOT it into a telephone pole, and catwalk it halfway down the road when I came back out of a ditch. Pretty much scared me enough to not ride it for a while. So I decided to go on a long ride without too many things that would make it hard to ride. After doing that about 5-6 times I got the twist thingy down pretty well on the R. Im used to it now and can go anywhere I want to with it except fast over whoops and bigger jumps. I would still prefer a thumb on most bikes, but I like the fact that its wayyy easier to fly around corners with a twist.

Only thing I really dont like about it now, is that theres still the feeling that I dont really have a grip on the handlebars and that they can twist around.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

tanks350x
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
lol luckily you were ok man.. Yea the twisty is for a certain crowd who desire it really... Dirtbikes run them and I won't lie, I had a difficult time when I used to ride my dirtbike running a twistie in certain terrains.

I recommend pictures of the the damage sustained to the the bike :) Ride on bro!
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/NEWATCMOSTRECENT062.jpg

tanks350x
05-27-2008, 06:55 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/NEWATCMOSTRECENT059.jpg

tanks350x
05-27-2008, 06:56 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/NEWATCMOSTRECENT053.jpgas you can see i put the thumb throttle back on already

tanks350x
05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/NEWATCMOSTRECENT060.jpg this is a front view of the bent bars

mark38090
05-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a twist on my 250sx and hate it for rough trails. Just riding dirt roads and such it's more comfortable.

tanks350x
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Well that is funny you all are on this subject . I have a twist on my 250r /3oo big bore kit and i have been riding a long while. And about 3 weeks ago i say lets go riding. So we go im riding rippin up throw the trails with my 16 year old girl behind me on the blaster im pullin wheelies well coming back i pull one more and bam. im on the back bar and when it hits my hand nails the twisty throttle power band kick in and it just was so fast and now i have hurtin maybe fractured tail bone. But i still like the twisty. Bike was good just broken headlight plastic and bent bars. It is all what you prefer maybe now that your throttle is broke you should try a thumb throttle well good luck..... :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn
Yea, I've since put the thumb throttle back on it:beer

Dirtcrasher
05-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey Tanks, how do you adjust the chain in the carrier?? I don't see any holes??

Seems like it's 180 degrees off but I don't think thats even possible............

overdressed1
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Still reckon go BOTH!!! Twist and thumb.

Dual Gasser. Ha ha :naughty:

Jonpin
05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I always wondered why atvs have a thumb instead of a twist iv had twist on dirt bikes and they wher great and my tri z to i think that i had when i was younger but never got working and wish i still had "shakes fist" the thumb kinda cramps my hand up after awhile

tanks350x
05-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey Tanks, how do you adjust the chain in the carrier?? I don't see any holes??

Seems like it's 180 degrees off but I don't think thats even possible............

The bearring carrier is made by Lone Star. The first hole is directly beside the swinger pinch bolt on the left. Wheather or not it's 180 degrees out, I'm not sure. Thats just the way it fell into place when I adjusted the chain, I thought the same thing when I got it all together:wondering I also took your advise and took it apart again and loaded it up with some marine grease:naughty: Thanks for that tip. names Roy BTW

tanks350x
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I always wondered why atvs have a thumb instead of a twist iv had twist on dirt bikes and they wher great and my tri z to i think that i had when i was younger but never got working and wish i still had "shakes fist" the thumb kinda cramps my hand up after awhile

Yea, Jonpin, I get the same problem with cramping up after a while, Maybe it's from riding my P.O.S Harley? J/K:lol:

Jonpin
05-30-2008, 02:58 AM
back to that duel gasser thing i found one on ebay never herd of such a thing sounds interesting if neone is interested in one to expensive for me to try out lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Terry-Cable-dual-gasser-twist-thumb-throttle-assy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQihZ015QQite mZ250253441689QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

tanks350x
05-31-2008, 08:14 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/NEWATCMOSTRECENT059.jpg

I'm psyched beyond belief, I just got home from a good friend of mines house, where we totally went through the gas tank and is now almost ready for paint. The cool thing is, the color is going to be, "legit" 1982 Lamborghini Countach White. Paint came from Italy...:D
Stupid me brought my camera to take pics. along the way but, forgot the memory card:crazy: