PDA

View Full Version : restoring an old 185s, best way to remove paint

oscarmayer
05-22-2008, 04:12 PM
i want to do a restore of this old 185s. what is the cheapest and best way to remove the paint and light bits of rust off the frame and chane guard stuff?

Local shops want upwards of $120 just to strip the frame for me. (way to much in my books jsut for a frame stripping)

ilmoakw
05-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I use an electric drill and a wire wheel or an angle grinder with a cup wire wheel...quick and relatively easy. Do wear some sort of mask to keep from breathing that crud in....

200xkwit
05-22-2008, 06:20 PM
sand blast it ... they have thos cheap siphon ones they work pretty good try one

Dirtcrasher
05-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I buy the thick gel type paint stripper at Home D. The siphon blasters do work very well without wasting allot of sand like the pressure blasters do.....

oscarmayer
05-22-2008, 10:48 PM
siphon blaster? never heard of it. i'll have to look it up.

i want to be able to remove the reust too. will paint stripper do that too?

wire wheel yea i thought about that, but i can see myself speing days jsut stripping it. ick! time is very limited for me as I'm a sr. server/san engineer for computers and i work a lot. couple that with a family, home, and stuff and you got only a couple of hrs a week to do this thing.

i'll have to see. i'll look at the siphon blasters. i don't have a compressor :/

i need to be able to strip paint and rust. dang this is going to suck!!!!!

anyone live in dallas/ft.worth area wanna make a few buck and can blast a frame and maybe a few odds and ends? $50 cast to someoen who can do it for me in the area.

hublake
05-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Siphon Blaster

Here is a picture of the one I use. I got it at Harbor Freight when it was on sale for $19.99. TSC also has them. Works pretty good.

Bulldozer
05-23-2008, 08:16 AM
i used a wire wheel brush on my grinder and drill it works good ans also strips of the rust

oscarmayer
05-23-2008, 09:10 PM
hublake,
how do you power it or get the sand to spray from it?

Brockey
05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a cheap one aswell/ $20 It plugs into a air hose and cup sits on top of the gun. Very simple but only lasts a minute and ya gotta refill the cup. So I tape a pop bottle to the cup with the bottom cup off. Now it holds over 2 litres. lol.

200xkwit
05-23-2008, 09:39 PM
mine will hold 3-4 gallon jugs full of sand. im cheap so i use sand from the beach here. it will blast away any rust you have and imo is the best choise for this type of project. 20 bucks for the blaster and some free sand with a nice little compressor and *Edited**Edited* good to go

hublake
05-24-2008, 05:31 AM
hublake,

You hook the line from the compressor to the gun and the black hose connects to a fitting at the bottom of the container. I will get a picture later this morning. Still dark here.

Lloyd

oscarmayer
05-24-2008, 02:09 PM
hrmmm so i'll have to find a compressor. DOH! wasn't counting on that.
hrmmm i'll have to do some thinking and searching.

hublake
05-24-2008, 02:25 PM
hublake,

Here are the pictures. The red line is coming from my air compressor. The black hose hooks to the fitting on the bottom of the container. The black hose just slides on the fitting up to the little hole.

oscarmayer
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
goess it's time to look for a cheapo air compressor eh?

dreadhed
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Small compressors don't run blasters to well. They spend a lot of time catching up. You can do it with one you'll just be waiting of the compressor a lot...that's when you do some thing else for a few minutes. Don't use sand it's really bad for you. If you aren't using a cabinet you should wear a fresh air hood.