PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from today

Louis Mielke
05-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Well other than some small creature comforts I can finally say my 500r is pretty much finished. Obviously I'll never be done completely but this bike is to the point that I consider it a rider, the fabrication/ergonomic changes are complete. I know its been a long time coming, seems like I've been working on it forever(yes I can hear those snickers in the back, shudap! I'm not made of money and I'm slow, I know it, you don't need to tell me! HAHA!)

Only thing planned for it at this point is a grab bar and the heavier fork springs I ordered. Hopefully they'll be in next week. Here's a few pictures in what I consider a presentable form. No more "but wait its not finished" comments, its finished other than the stuff I would do to any of my other factory produced bikes.

The ride height is nice and the handling is very comfortable. I spent a good two hours this evening riding it around in the little play area behind my apartment. The jetting isn't quite perfect yet so I'm still working on that but I had a lot of fun and never felt like it was tippy, never thought to myself, this piece has to be changed, or I should rethink this part. Very flickable with the throttle, no awkward out of balance feelings going up steep grades. Crossed dramatic terrain camber changes without loss of control. I'm very satisfied at this point. The shorter swinger was really the key to fixing a lot of the handling issues. Yes the front end comes up much easier now but I feel its a very manageable change. I thought I was going to change the peg location but I've decided its unnecessary.

The fork springs and some fine tuning of compression and rebound and this bike will be as close to perfect as I can make it.

Overall I would have to say (and yes I'm being a bit conceited) this would have to be one of the best dirt bike to trike conversions I've seen/ridden. (I'm sure Jason Hall's aluminum frame 450r will change my mind soon lol) its not a drag racer, very trail worthy, and I think it will do much better on the MX track this year. After my two hours out playing pretty aggressively I'm not tired at all. I couldn't say the same last year or the year previous at TF.

Not much more to say. Just wanted to get that out there, kinda like some closure on this project or some junk like that. I can definitely say that putting the engine in the 250r frame would have been SOOO much easier but this project was very satisfying because I feel like I've accomplished something that has been the somewhat more difficult road less traveled.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/500/SD530306.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/500/SD530309.jpg

this is supposed to be an edog style shot. Sorry edog, I'm not very good at your dramatic comic book shots. lol

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/500/SD530311.jpg

DeePa
05-17-2008, 09:09 PM
louis, looks great man.

its about time. glad to see you finally finished it up. the best feeling is when you wouldnt change a thing about it.

Mike

Billy Golightly
05-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Awesome Louis, glad your happy with it. TF will be here soon enough and you can really put it to the test.

tecat-z
05-17-2008, 11:10 PM
That bike is looking very nice. Has a clean and balanced look to it.

Bryan Raffa
05-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I like that little filler peice you put in the rear fenders..verry nice;)

you need some numbers?

Dirtcrasher
05-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Glad to hear it's handling the way you want.

I like the lines to it, it's flowing nice!

edog
05-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I bet she is a handfull on full throttle!

LonesomeTriZ
05-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Damn I remember when you started that thing. Or do I? It looks good.

Derrick Adams
05-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Great Job! Nice to see it the way you want it. I think it's time for some numbers/ backgrounds and some motocross!

Just a thought.... You should keep your eyes peeled for a +4 axle for it. As stable as it feels now, it will be that much better with an axle. (also some 18" rears for MX)

I LOVE THE ORANGE PLASTIC! Thats exactly how I would have built one!!!!

Louis Mielke
05-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I like that little filler peice you put in the rear fenders..verry nice;)

you need some numbers?

Actually Raffa thats exactly what I need. I've looked in several bike shops and their so expensive! Of course I want a 3 digit number so that makes it worse!

Great Job! Nice to see it the way you want it. I think it's time for some numbers/ backgrounds and some motocross!

Just a thought.... You should keep your eyes peeled for a +4 axle for it. As stable as it feels now, it will be that much better with an axle. (also some 18" rears for MX)

I LOVE THE ORANGE PLASTIC! Thats exactly how I would have built one!!!!

Thanks Derrick, means a lot coming from you. I'm definitely all about the +4 axle, it had one for a short bit while I was using 400ex parts but when i made the switch to 450r in the rear I didn't have the cash for a new axle. The 400ex almost worked but it just wasn't right so it went into my 400ex quad and I figure a +4 will be coming soon.

The 18" on the rear are another definite but I need to snap an extra front wheel as wheel so I can change the front tire proportionally. The rake is just right with the 20"s on the rear so I have to bring the front down if I bring the rear down. All in good time for sure!

I also agree backgrounds will pull it together as well!

I also can't wait to come give you a run for you money on the straightaways up with the OTC!

Bryan Raffa
05-18-2008, 11:10 AM
what number? PS answer your dam phone:lol:

Brockey
05-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Looks sweet. Love the seat and rear fenders. It flows nicely and love the color. Good luck with it.

Bryan Raffa
05-18-2008, 01:32 PM
dont forget to send your address;) thats gonna look bad A#$!:naughty:

one of the bags has a hole in it and one of the screws is missing .. but you will have a enough for 2 numbers for shure...like I said.. you'll never get 3 numbers on that plate..these are 8" tall numbers.

sandpuppi101
05-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Lookin good there Louis,I know the feeling of not being 100% satisfied with a project,but it good to hear that your happy with where it's at now.Hopefully all of us with the bigger conversion's can bump a little paint at TF,and scuff up Jason's aluminum.While your waiting on the 4" plus axle,try out some extender's for the time being.I'm bringinging a set down to TF and your more than welcome to try them out if ya want..