PDA

View Full Version : Tecate 3 - Start's but doesn't Run

scoyne
05-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I have a 84 T3. Last time I rode it, it ran great. When I came to a stop and the bike came down to an idle it stalled. No matter how much I kicked it wouldn't start back up. Brought the bike home and it started 2nd kick and then ran for 20 seconds and died. No matter how much I kick it won't start again. If I let the bike sit for 24-48 hours it starts back up again on the 1-3 kick and then stalls. Please help???:wondering
I have pulled the carb off and cleaned it but nothing works. Unless I'm not cleaning it properly...
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

- Sean

T3 LOPES
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
First I'd start it and wait for it to dye then check for spark . Sometimes when stators go bad they will fire and it will start then you will lose spark and it dyes .

scoyne
05-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I checked spark both before and after and it still sparkin' strong...
I didn't check the resistance on the coil, I guess I could do that but the spark is there so I didn't bother...
:wondering

Any other thoughts???

BigGreenMachine
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Strong blue spark?

Is the flywheel key sheared? Pull the flywheel and check the key and the stator readings at the same time.

Could be a fuel delivery problem.

scoyne
05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes it appears to be a nice strong blue spark.
I'm going to try and spend a little more time cleaning the carb. All I did was remove the main jet and blow through everything with compressed air.
Could it be the pilot jet? I'm going to stop and get some carb cleaner on the way home from work.

If that doesn't work I quess I will have to pop the cover off and pull the flywheel and check the key.
I'm assuming I can pull the flywheel and put it back without disrupting anything?

BigGreenMachine
05-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Yup, won't hurt anything by pulling the flywheel. You need a three prong puller to get it off and DON'T INSTALL THE SCREWS TOO DEEP INTO THE FLYWHEEL ITSELF. They would damage the stator coils, then you would no spark at all.

James

scoyne
05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll see if I can give it a shot tonight and see how it looks...
Thanks.

ccdhowell
05-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Same thing happened to me a while back. I was determined to make the problem the carb, but wasn't to be. I ended up replacing stator, flywheel and coil. Stator checked bad with multimeter, and so did the coil, and the magnets on the flywheel were loose when I took it off. I'd say that you're looking at something along the same lines as me.

Good luck,
Chris

MIK6
05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
check the connection from the harness to the stator, vibrates a bit and looses connection. I chased my 87 around for months, that was it.

MIK6 / Mike

300rman
05-14-2008, 05:15 PM
make sure your petcock is flowing freely........

scoyne
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Petcock is flowing pretty good. I'm going to pickup a new filter anyway...
I will also check the stator and coil with the meter and flywheel key.
Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it's all good.
Thanks for all the input!!!!!

- Sean

Bryan Raffa
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey NYer! welcome!! I bet the pilot is cloged...or your float needle is sticking,,after sitting it will fill up the bowl..and will only run till thats empty.

scooterroo
05-14-2008, 09:13 PM
damn there are alot of t3's showing up in ny arent there?

scoyne
05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately I cannot pull the flywheel. I don't have the proper tool and local auto parts store doesn't carry them. I will have to order one. I cheched the stator with a meter and it checks out 'OK'
HOWEVER--
Pilot Jet was CLOGGED pretty good. Cleaned it out and once it stops raining I will fire her up and see what happens (fingers crossed).
Hopefully today after work!!!

scoyne
05-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Now she won't even start no matter how long or hard I kick...
Seems to be getting plenty of fuel and it has good spark...
Should I pull the Fly wheel anyway?
Could that be the problem even if it's getting spark?:wondering
Your thoughts...

- Sean

Erics350x
05-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Try pooring like a soda bottle cap fuel of pre-mixed fuel in the spark plug hole, reinstall the plug and see if it fires up.

Bryan Raffa
05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
do you have something you can pull it with, too try and pop start it.. your motor could be flooded out.

Try a new plug also

scooterroo
05-24-2008, 02:42 PM
changing the plug would be the first thing i would do... i have had plugs that looked brand new act as if they were fouled and not run for crap.