PDA

View Full Version : 330rR temp. readings

underdog
05-12-2008, 10:43 PM
we went to silverlake this past weekend, and what an amazing machine Ed and I built. just wondering if anyone knows what temp the trike should run at? seems on the dragstrip pass after pass it stays right under 200f but if you go off and putt around it climbs over 225? where should i consider overheating no coolant is pushed into bottle and it seems to be circulating. just want tp make sure i dont melt her down. thanks

TRITecate350
05-13-2008, 09:40 AM
If riding it slow makes the temp go up, you probably need to richen up on the pilot if riding from an idle to half throttle makes the temp go up. I like to see the water temp around 180-200. If you want to test this theory, just run the air screw in which will richen it up and ride again and watch the temp. If it cools it off, you need to richen the pilot one size then replace the air screw around 1.5 turns out.

KASEY
05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
another thing to consider ,, airfow,, puttin around doesn't get much needed air through the radiators,,,,

Billy Golightly
05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Are you guys running any kind of special coolants besides antifreeze? I use Engine Ice and it is the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, really. I noticed a huge drop in my stuff, especially my 500.

KASEY
05-13-2008, 10:19 PM
i run water wetter,, and purple ice,,, i noticed a BIG difference too

1BFC
05-14-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm using redline water wetter and a 80/20 mix of water/coolant. Don't need much coolant in FL, just enough to keep pump happy. Water > coolant for heat transfer.

I'm not familiar with the engine ice stuff. I'll have to look into that.

Having the best coolant may sound like something easy to skimp on but I've found that it REALLY helps keep detonation at bay on my other engines so it's likely going to help with that on the R too.

edit: I looked at the engine ice stuff real quick. Sounds to me like they simply provide a product that's already a water wetter + coolant mixed together. Water wetter simply reduces the surface tension of water so the water contacts more of the surface areas on the radiator. I'd bet money that engine ice and related products do the exact same thing.

80/20 + water wetter should net same results as any of those coolant products, IMO. Just be sure to mix it 80% water...not the other way around :)

underdog
05-14-2008, 08:34 PM
we went to silverlake this past weekend, and what an amazing machine Ed and I built. just wondering if anyone knows what temp the trike should run at? seems on the dragstrip pass after pass it stays right under 200f but if you go off and putt around it climbs over 225? where should i consider overheating no coolant is pushed into bottle and it seems to be circulating. just want tp make sure i dont melt her down. thanks

i have engine ice in it, i'm going to look more into the neddle to see if it helps

ChrisD
05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
The 330 motors run HOT. I have not put a guage on mine, but it gets friggin hot. I have begun to use "40 Below" and bought a set of oversized PWR radiators. It has made a difference, but still runs hotter than a stock bore motor.

1BFC
05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Anyone ever install a couple of small DC 120MM Fans to push some air through the radiators at low speeds? You could run them off the stock headlight circuit with some voltage regulation..

If my 310 has cooling issues I'll probably give the fans a try. We'll see this weekend!