PDA

View Full Version : Tecate preformance

starky1234
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I have an 1985 tecate and i need some part but i dont know where is the best place to get them online? I am going to need a preformance pipe, rebuild kit, Rear Fender, and other things.

And the tecate is so hard to get started will a rebuilt motor help this:beer

Tecate250
05-09-2008, 03:59 PM
:lol: No Tecates are very hard to start. harder when you have bad kick start. To start my tecate I need work boots and need to "jump start" to roll the engine over.:crazy: When I say jump start I need to jump off my bike and giver all I have in the kick start. Starts first or second kick. This was with over 200 psi too.
Nice to see more tecates.

starky1234
05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
ttt bumb bumb

starky1234
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Ok well right now i am running a 20-12-10 tire and i need new one what ones do you think i should get and i am rebuilding the motor should i get an L.A. Sleeve or which do you think that i should get

ccdhowell
05-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I just got a new set of rears, I got Kenda Knarly MXRs 18x10.5-8, so far so good.

As far as rebuilding, Take it apart before you decide what must be done. If it is a tired old engine that needs a bore, bore it and have it re-nikasiled. If possible I wouldn't sleeve it unless you had to. Nikasil is much better.

starky1234
05-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Well rigth now i have sand tires on it and mud sharks are the only tire that would work with the 21-12-10 that are not big mud tires

starky1234
05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I just got a new set of rears, I got Kenda Knarly MXRs 18x10.5-8, so far so good.

As far as rebuilding, Take it apart before you decide what must be done. If it is a tired old engine that needs a bore, bore it and have it re-nikasiled. If possible I wouldn't sleeve it unless you had to. Nikasil is much better.

what kind of Silencer are you running on your tecate

starky1234
05-09-2008, 09:58 PM
bumb bumb bumb

ccdhowell
05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I have a DG headpipe and DG silencer, good set-up for mildly modded engines. My big bore is maxing out the pipe, but there's nothing better readily available so I'll stick with it.

starky1234
05-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I have a DG headpipe and DG silencer, good set-up for mildly modded engines. My big bore is maxing out the pipe, but there's nothing better readily available so I'll stick with it.

I can find the headpipe for sale online but i cant find a dg silencer online

scooterroo
05-10-2008, 11:02 AM
use a universal 2 stroke dg silencer, they work and sound pretty good. as far as knowing what you want for a rebuild, you need to investigate the internals a bit before you go making your shopping list. have you tested the compression on it yet? the cylinders are nykasiled, so thats the way i would go if you wanna do it right. re sleeving is ok, but there can always be problems from the craftsmanship of the sleeve job. parts are a bit harder to come by for the t3's, but they are out there and theres alot of useful advice on here to get around discountinued parts and such. check ebay, i know i have found alot of my parts thru ebay and ebay contacts. i have to dis-agree about the hard starting though. i have seen some that were complete pains in the butt to get running, where i have also seen plenty of them start right up first kick on a 30 below zero day. so its all in the set up i guess. good luck with your bike, post up some pics of the thing!! good to see the green !

BigGreenMachine
05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Should NOT be hard to start, high compression or not.

Any 20 inch tire for a 10 inch rim is a good choice. I like Turf Tamers and Fast Trekkers.

Contact Greg at CWR for parts. He should be able to hook you up with the rebuild parts. http://cycleworksracing.net/

Funny story about the starting. I left my 85 Tecate at the girlfriends for her to use. Shes started it before and can ride. Well she tried one day and it would not run. Her sisters boyfriend tried. Hes 6 foot and about 180lbs. Would not run for either of them. I go down the next day. Walk in the shed and look it over, nothing apears wrong. Just for kicks I give the trike one quick stab with the kicker and brappp she fired up immediately. They must have flooded it. She was not impressed. lol

Tecate250
05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Running tires depends on where you want to drive. I drive mostly in bed rock and bad areas so I want a set of realtors. Good for mud and snow, lots of rubber to wear out too. I too feel you with that one BGM. Mine starts fine you just have to give that kick start hell at once. But my kick start is dying."slipping"

BigGreenMachine
05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Realtors are way too heavy a tire for a Tecate. Too hard with no give in them. I had some spidertracs on my Tecate for like a day or two. Way bouncy even with a fresh shock but they sucked the performance out of the bike, not to mention killer on the clutch.

Some light 20 inch mudlites would be the ticket or a set of razr's with every other row of lugs cut out.

ccdhowell
05-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Right after I got my Tecate I bought a set of Swamper TSL tires for the rear, 22x12.5-10. I'm from Louisiana, thought they'd be great on the high strung Tecate, I could see the mud flying. Well, I ran them for maybe two rides before I replaced them with some 20" Pirelli Race Rail XCs, they were about 5 lbs lighter per tire. The heavy mudders just sucked too much out of the Tecate. The Tecate two-stroke is a unique monster of a motor, but has next to zero torque; doesn't turn heavy tires well. It's allot more fun to ride with smaller, lighter tires and wheels. I have now what I hope with be just about ideal, 8" wheels with Kenda Knarly MX 18" soft compound tires. Small, light with plenty of grip. So far they're the best combination I've tried.

Chris

brapp
05-12-2008, 09:19 PM
around her ethe mud shark is a good tire choice starky and willu be at the mehopany and springvillepoker runs. and if you need any help wiht the t-3 motor rebuilding it i have done a few before.

Tecate250
05-13-2008, 12:16 AM
What about rocks and hard pack. I do not want a flat with just a stardard tire. I ran "flat" bear claws on my tecate for years. Never hit the rim at all, but yes I feel it did suck the power out of it a little. But better be slower then broken from a flat tire. I want sand tires so bad but they would be done in the first 3 klm.

BigGreenMachine
05-13-2008, 12:48 PM
4 ply Razr's or Kenda Knarly's aren't goin to puncture easy. Hell I've run Cheng Chin C826 knobbies that are 2 ply over some nasty stuff and never in two seasons had a flat. The terrain here isn't much different from yours.

starky1234
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
around her ethe mud shark is a good tire choice starky and willu be at the mehopany and springvillepoker runs. and if you need any help wiht the t-3 motor rebuilding it i have done a few before.

Yea i am going but not to the mehopany its not going to be running the motor is getting rebuild, i will call you if i need help with it. I think that i going going to Sprock Racing for the rebiuld and i got a lot of new parts dg pipe, kenda klaw xcr 20-11-10 and new maiers, uni air filter and some other things now its on to painting the tecate i am thinking silver or gray

starky1234
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Well i have not been on here in a long time!!!! So i have painted it ( i didnt work on it for along time ) and now i need to work on the motor so here is the story. When i got it, it didnt like to start and it was pissing water out the top like a head gaskit was blown. Then i whent to put coolant in it and the kid who i got it off was running it without coolant, then i ripped it all apart and im going to get a new piston and i didnt have to good p.s.i. when i took the motor apart should i do an L.A. Sleeve or no? What should i do? I dont what a racer and i dont what to run race fuel!

starky1234
07-02-2008, 05:34 PM
And i toke the head pipe off and i could see coolant inside. Then it wouldnt fire cuz of that

cheaptecate
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
If you don't want a racer, you got the wrong machine.:twisted:

Tecate250
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Nah! My bike was always pissing coolant. Just got it running over the weekend. Works fine and no pissing this time.

scooterroo
07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
coolant in the headpipe...yeah she has a bad head gasket probably, but also check for cracks in the cylinder itself. as far as your cylinder, you could have it sleeved, or send it to someone to get it renicked. us chrome, rpm, etc... if its pssing coolant then it runs hot hot hot, timing off a bit maybe, either retarded or advanced. my old t3 never pissed any coolant out, and neither has my bro's. the one i have now i cant tell yah, cuz i am still on the rebuild stages. definately get yourself a complete gasket set and seals to if your opening up the bottom end. as for the firing, do you have any spark at all? if not check the stator and flywheel. might be needing a new ricky stator setup or pvl, depends on the cash you wanna spend. i agree with cheaptecate, if you dont want a racer you have the wrong bike, lol. t3's a nothing but a purebred racing trike. its not something to putt putt around on. they like to run fast, and the power can kick yah in the ass.

ccdhowell
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
t3's a nothing but a purebred racing trike. its not something to putt putt around on. they like to run fast, and the power can kick yah in the ass.

Man that just put a smile on my face...think I need to go ride mine this weekend. It's true, build it well, ride it, respect the power, have fun.

Good luck with your build,
Chris

starky1234
07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
NO NO you guys got me wrong i love going fast but i dont want to run race fuel i love the power of the tecate that why i got it sorry about that!! I toke it part and its was the head gaskit then i whent out and got one but it does have some play in the connecting rod to the crank. How much play is ok? What are the down sides of sleeving it and how much will it cost to send it off to get renicked?

scooterroo
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
they are about the same plus or minus a few bucks. resleeving all depends on the quality of the work done. i have seen some hack jobs done, but have seen some really nice work done too. if it was upto me i would go with a renicking if the cylinder is in good shape. a good thing about sleeving is you dont have to worry about the nickasil coating and can bore and hone it like any other cylinder. might run a tad hotter then a nicked cylinder though. most places match the cylinders up with the correct piston and ring set when you get either option done too. so you shouldnt have to worry bout the piston or rings. and glad you clearifie dthat you liek to go fast, cuz green means go!!!!!!!!!

starky1234
07-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Where is a place that i can send off my jug to get the cylinder renicked i live in pa. But there is some soreing on the wall and i would do the resleeving but what tools do you need?

scooterroo
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
http://kustom-kraft.com/NEWNIKASIL.html

http://www.uschrome.com/

http://www.mt-llc.com/Ordering/inventory.html

heres a few websites you can browse and check out. as far as resleeving yourself, i dont think you would be able to. the cylinder needs to be machined and stuff to fit the sleeve in, then have the ports worked on, etc... not something easy to do.

starky1234
07-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I do have a mill but i think that i will leave that one to the pros
thanks