PDA

View Full Version : Whats inside a spark arrestor?

dizasterzrfun69
05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
well what exactly is inside a spark arrestor? isnt it just a round or oval piece of tube with some heavy steel screen inside of it? anybody ever make one?

devilman
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
here is pic of one from motosport.com

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/search/index.php?words=spark%20arrestor&src=s

RedRider_AK
05-07-2008, 04:14 PM
That's what I've seen in most aftermarket spark arresters, but it seems like the stock ones for the Honda ATC110's are a weird spiral setup?! I dunno what they are.

Ryan.
05-07-2008, 04:25 PM
That's what I've seen in most aftermarket spark arresters, but it seems like the stock ones for the Honda ATC110's are a weird spiral setup?! I dunno what they are.
ya pro circuit has something similar, its like a turbine core er thats what they call it, almost looks like a jet engine :w00t:

dizasterzrfun69
05-07-2008, 08:38 PM
the OD of my silencer is right at 3 inches. the silverlake websitte says to test the spark arrestor they insert something NO BIGGER than 3/8's of an inch in diameter, but i guess the bigger the better. im also going to bring some steal wool incase its too loud but i doubt it is. did they check yours out john or just glance at it and let it go? i might run down and see if the autoparts store has any pipe with a 3 inch ID.

dizasterzrfun69
05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I for got I had this 3 inch inside diamiter tubing I got from Sam Weiners. Used it on a T-3 project (you WILL see this weekend:) ), and still had the screen I bought that I used on my stock muffler.
Those smaller beer can holders I brought over to your place are too small but this might be a tight fit but worth a try ?
I can do inside flanges as well as out side lips.

What do you think ? john

well i just struck out at the auto-parts store. i MIGHT be able to get a piece of exhaust from work tomorrow, its close to 3 inches. i'll try that stuff you got but i gotta have time to get it and fabricate something before this weekend. so did you get your T-3 project in satisfactory condition? if so im gonna be jealous :lol:

dizasterzrfun69
05-07-2008, 09:03 PM
looks good to me, if ya get bored ya can throw an inside flange on it :lol: :lol: :lol: i'd think 2 layers of screen would be better so it looks like a finer mesh cause i REALLY dont want to buy a $75 sparky :crazy: how did you fasten the screen to it?

dizasterzrfun69
05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
The peice i bought and cut down to length already had a inside flange on it so I cut my screen to size and inserted it then high temp siliconed it in place and let cure then I added another layer of screen.
I will let you know how it turns out.
I was gonna go to bed early, but oh well.

john

11pm is early for me :lol: i dont know HOW i go on 4 1/2 hours sleep every night. at this rate i'm gonna owe you a whole KEG :beer

dizasterzrfun69
05-08-2008, 05:24 AM
.:drool: dam its even stainless/chrome. will you be home this evening? im going to go get my tires if they show up at the old mans house. :w00t:

:beer