PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to rebuild 350X forks?

VenomRS4
05-04-2008, 04:52 PM
This is going to be my first time rebuilding forks. I will be doing them for a 1986 350X. I know I need fork seals but what else is involved in doing it? Like what parts do it need? Also, are there fork rebuild kits with everything included?

Thanks!

Dirtcrasher
05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
You need the fork seal set, with the dust seal. Some good 10 to 15wt fluid. An air impact is preferred for the lower allen bolt. New fork boots if u want - OEM are available for 30$ a pop, A seal driver (must have!) - can use a length of PVC cut to fit the 350X tubes - make sure to drive the bushing in first, then the seal, and the PVC can't have any rough edges or junk from cutting and fitting them or it contaminates the oil. And, make sure that the coated bushings are in good shape or replace them. Even slightly bent tubes ruin those bushings.

When I rebuild forks, I replace the steering stem bearings (if they are OEM) with All Balls from DADS and I change the boots and take the caliper apart and grease it up with new pads if needed.... But, thats just ME............................