PDA

View Full Version : Found an 86 T3, tell me if this sounds like a deal.

Jonathan
06-10-2003, 11:45 AM
I ran an ad in the paper wanting 86-87 T3's and Tigers and got a call about it this morning. The guy's got an 86 Tecate with the top end off, he has a new piston for it, the cylinder just needs to be bored before it can be put bact together. HE said some of the plastic is cracked, but it's all there and the radiator shrouds are in tact and it has new tires. He wants $600 cash, I could probably get it for $550 or less I bet. Does this sound good? I gotta make room for it since 4 bikes is pretty much my limit right now.

Curtis-Tecate3
06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Jonathan, You need to double check on that top end. Tecate's have plated cylinders and can not be bored. What generally is the case is that the cylinder may have already been "sleeved" which means that the factory plated cylinder is bored away and a steel sleeve or liner is installed which allows oversize pistons and boring etc. If the cylinder is not sleeved then you are looking at more dollars to get it running. Also as you may have read the ignitons are fragile so be sure that it works. Pricing sounds good but double check everything as some parts are hard to come by and get expensive...

Curtis.

John mendolera
06-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Make sure the stator and flywheel are good or that will add to your :shock: cost.

J.D.
06-10-2003, 12:19 PM
I say go for it, if all else fails you could sell it for parts if it costs too much to get running.

Jeb
06-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Do all the above. But make sure the trike is 100% complete. Since the top end is off make sure all power-valve components are there. Another option to bore & sleeve is bore and re-plate.

Sound like a great deal! Good Luck!! :-D

Jonathan
06-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Stupid question time. What all does a power valve consist of? Any one have any pictures and a list of what I should look for? Honestly, I don't even know what a power valve is or does. All I know right now is that 86-87 Tecate's are fast, somewhat rare, look absolutly bad-ass, I want one, and this one looks like a good deal.

KXT
06-11-2003, 12:59 AM
IF YOU BUY THAT T3 & IT COSTS TOO MUCH TO REPAIR, YOU CAN EASILY MAKE YOUR MONEY BACK BY PARTING IT OUT ON EBAY & YES PARTS ARE VERY HARD TO COME BY & EXPENSIVE I HAD MY CYLINDER REPLATED & BEED BLASTED FOR $160.00 DO SOME RESEARCH & CHECK THAT WHEELER OUT REAL CLOSE. YOU CAN BUY A FLYWHEEL FOR $125.00 FROM RICKY STATOR IF THAT ONE IS BAD, OR HAVE IT REGLUED $550. NOT A BAD PRICE IN MY OPINION IF ALL ELSE LOOKS GOOD. 8)

Jeb
06-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Jonathan, go to buykawasaki.com. pick vehicle information, then select "view parts diagrams". choose ATV and hit continue. when the window changes, under "product type" select "sport 3-wheel ATVs". This will give you a list of Tecates. Pick 1986. Go to "parts diagrams" then pick cylinder head/cylinder/reed valve from the list on the left. It will give you a break down of the powervalve components. study it, print it out and take it with you. Also there are some actuator parts that nest in the clutch cover. you can find those under engine covers and crankcase. The powervalve actuator has a left handed nut on it and the threaded shaft it's on can be broken during disassembly if someone thinks it's a regular nut and applies he-man pressure trying to break it loose. Just ask Mik6 about the trouble that can cause! You should still be able to get any KIPS parts you need from Kawasaki.

The KIPS (Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System) simply changes the exhaust port at a certain RPM so the engine can be tuned for lowend and not sacrifice top-end power or vice versa. If the guy who took it apart knew what he was doing, it should all be there and in good shape.

If you get it, I do recommend you use the buykawasaki.com diagrams for help with assembly since your new to the 86 Tecate and to get part numbers for things you might need to order. Then just call your dealer and say I need part number so & so. Most of the engine parts cross reference to several years of KX. This avoids any stupid lazy bastids who'll say you cant get parts for 3wheelers anymore or that it's not worth fixing or you'll get hurt or anyother BS.

Good luck and we'll be glad to help with any future questions!! I just wanted you to make sure and ask about the powervalve parts since the top end is off when you buy it.