PDA

View Full Version : 225dx rear brakes.. Cover removal?

PowerTrike
05-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Hey guys. Been slowly going over my somewhat of a mess 225dx. It is running great but needs brakes...

The rear disk brake does not work and needs to be gone over. The cable and most of the caliper are there. I believe there is supposed to be some sort of screw that threads into the caliper connected to the brake cable bracket at the caliper? Can anyone explain to me how this works?

I would also like to remove the rear disk cover/shield to keep things looking clean and to prevent mud/dirt buildup inside of it. Any downside to doing this? It looks like the rotor just slides within splines on the axle and side-to-side play is supposed to be held somewhat "tight" by some drag from the rear caliper/pads at all times?

Any help appreciated :)

freewheel3
05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, there is a coarse threaded "screw" that turns inward squeezing the rotor between the brake pads providing the braking action when you apply the rear brakes.

I would keep the cover on and just clean it out periodically. Especially after any mud bogging.

And yes the rotor does free float on the splines. Its a good idea to grease those splines if/when you have the rotor off.

PowerTrike
05-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks freewheel. I kind of wrecked the cover trying to pry the caliper apart (part that goes over the cover where the "screw" would go in) hence the reason I would like to do without it. I do realize what it is designed to do.

Has anybody removed their disk cover?

trizilla
05-06-2008, 07:15 AM
ya man. i had an 85 dr and i pulled that crap off. yes they had a purpose back in the day and as far as now i would call it more of a dirt collector. its just my personal opinion but i like to keep my stuff clean and dont have the time or patience to rip that cover off after every ride.