PDA

View Full Version : 86350x new cluch still slipping?

WLL
05-03-2008, 09:05 PM
could old streched cable be the problem? is 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil ok to run or could this also cause slipping?

Erics350x
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
The cable wouldn't cause it unless its adjusted too tight.

WLL
05-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The cable wouldn't cause it unless its adjusted too tight.
the cable is as loose as can be

deathman53
05-03-2008, 09:17 PM
new springs also?? Worn out springs could make it slip, what about the metals, are they to far worn? I'v seen inner clutch hubs that were very worn and caused clutches to slip also.

WLL
05-03-2008, 09:20 PM
new springs, disc's and plates at 10ft-lb all oem honda parts

Erics350x
05-03-2008, 11:41 PM
i'd try removing the disk and plates and lightly scuffing them with 300 grit and putting regular motor oil in.

threewheelin-feelin
05-04-2008, 01:37 AM
just curious has it sliped since you put it in or did it start slipping shortly after...cause i just did a clutch on my 85 3500x and it started slipping after a week and i cant find any answers on why

WLL
05-04-2008, 10:47 AM
just curious has it sliped since you put it in or did it start slipping shortly after...cause i just did a clutch on my 85 3500x and it started slipping after a week and i cant find any answers on whyslipped right away. the old cluch was slipping also and that is why i changed it:confused:

it does work better when hot but still slips way too much.

DIGGER DOG
05-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Is the clutch basket (outer) notched ?also Inner (hub or boss) notched?
may not really make a difference but I do it every clutch job did you soak the frictions before install? sometimes if not soaked on start up the frctions will burn the material off without the initial soak wont burn all the material off just enough to screw the whole job and make it slip.

Dirtcrasher
05-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Just for you guys, I'm gonna install my Barnett clutch today and see if I have any problems.....

I still say that if all the right steps were done then there has to be something out or order or the wrong thrust washers were used.

A notched basket doesn't make it slip, just harder to pull and little control over the "grab" part of the action.

An again, I soak my plates for about 5 minutes before I install them. Thats it.....

Marty
05-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Are you using motor oil. If you are check the back of the bottle and if it says on the right side of bottle in the small circle "energy conserving" that type of oil has friction modifiers. If you use that switch to something else but you may have to buy another clutch friction plates contaminated.

DIGGER DOG
05-05-2008, 06:39 AM
I dont want to start a debate here DC just my 2 cents
I think that if the inner boss or outer basket are notched badly enough
the frictions or most likely the metal plates will hang up and not fully engauge
or disengauge causing it to slip from hung up plates sorta acting like out of spec springs.

Dirtcrasher
05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I dont want to start a debate here DC just my 2 cents
I think that if the inner boss or outer basket are notched badly enough
the frictions or most likely the metal plates will hang up and not fully engauge
or disengauge causing it to slip from hung up plates sorta acting like out of spec springs.

It's not a debate, it's your opinion. :beer

For notches to hang up in the plates the would have to be some serious mo fo notches. In all the slipping problems I've ever seen, I haven't seen notches create clutch slipping, thats all....

WLL
05-05-2008, 09:39 AM
the basket looks fine and shows very little wear if any. there is no notching at all. i changed the oil and the cluch works much better but still slips when hammering down on the throttle in 4th,5,6. im thinking the oil has contaminated the disc's. im hoping she gets better with time.

WLL
05-05-2008, 09:51 AM
the knotches just make it hard to find N when shifting and seems you hit N when going into 2. it is a pita

WLL
06-15-2008, 01:27 AM
turns out the oil line was cloged up and not letting the cluch get enough oil. bamn im lucky the motor isnt trashed!