PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Kits

money89tractors
05-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm in need of a clutch kit for my '81 250R. I have looked around and there are LOTS of different clutch companies and fiber types. I would like a clutch that will last for years and years but not pay nearly $200 for just the fibers abd steels like the local Honda dealer wants.

-Phil

Russell 350X
05-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Barrnet (sp?) makes a awsome clutch. EBC's are good to.

RedRider_AK
05-03-2008, 06:04 PM
DP, Barnett and EBC. Stay away from the chitty cheap-o stuff (Vesrah, etc).

350Xhilaration
05-03-2008, 08:04 PM
My OEM Honda clutch lasted for 20+ years...I replaced it with cheap parts (Vesrah) and have regretted it ever since.

Spend the money on OEM. You'll be happy you did after you put in aftermarket stuff and then buy OEM to make it feel like it used to.

You can always put in the cheaper stuff & start a thread about clutch problems in 6 months and I'll check back in and tell you "I told ya so".

300rman
05-04-2008, 04:05 PM
i used some vesrah fibers, and scuffed the OEM steels up. no problems yet, but if they *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* out, i will report in.

if you can just get some fibers, you will be fine, as long as the steel plates arent destroyed.

money89tractors
05-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, it seems i was wrong about needing a kit. I was having problems with it slipping in 4th and 5th, then it wouldn't dissengage...so i figured i needed fibers.

Turns out, whoever had it before me didnt lock the lock washer inside the basket down and the nut backed off.

I would still like to know what the best fibers (life and cost) would be on a replacement.

-Phil

Dirtcrasher
05-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Don't go to your dealer, use Service Honda and pay about half what your friendly Mr Smiley dealer wants.

I NEVER use my useless dealer...... He is easily double the price!!

clutchcargo
05-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Not trying to go off into a different thread, but it's too bad the dealers aren't more helpful. I would like to give the local dealer as much of my business as possible, but they really do push you toward the internet.
And the moment they find out you're not running a newer bike, they kind of change their attitude. As if they won't make any money off of you. As least that's been my local experience.

Daddio
05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Just wait til you need a new clutch basket for the 81-84 Rs. All of the used ones are worn from the clutch plates digging into them. That is a problem that we are currently dealing with.

money89tractors
05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
I have heard about the baskets wearing oout. I am lucky enough that mine is in great shape.

-Phil

300rman
05-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Just wait til you need a new clutch basket for the 81-84 Rs. All of the used ones are worn from the clutch plates digging into them. That is a problem that we are currently dealing with.

:naughty: I am all set. i have 2 extras that are mildly grooved, but are in excellent shape compared to the one i am running.....and the one i am running gives me zero clutch problems. :w00t: