PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke noise

300rman
05-01-2008, 06:01 PM
looking to quiet down my 84 R. it dont bother me none, but i dont want to bother others and cause bad reps for our sport.

so, about how loud is a stock pipe on these things?
i would imagine most of the sound dampening would come from the silencer, correct?

it seems like ALOT of noise comes straight through the pipe, instead of out of the rear of the machine.

toocheaptosmoke
05-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Do you still have the stock silencer? I do on mine, DG pipe though, and she is pretty loud. I think not having a water jacket around the cylinder contributes to the noise, my free air sleds have a distinct sound to them also.

RedRider_AK
05-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Air-cooled machines are louder stock for stock than liquids because the cooling fins resonate with the engine noise, making it seem louder. Also, the expansion chamber wall thickness also affects noise, thinner walls = louder.

300rman
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
would putting some packing into my spark arrestor help quiet this thing down some?

our air cooled blaster is amazingly quiet, but it is stock as well.

Ryan.
05-02-2008, 12:10 AM
would putting some packing into my spark arrestor help quiet this thing down some?

our air cooled blaster is amazingly quiet, but it is stock as well.
i bealive packing it hard in there would work

RedRider_AK
05-02-2008, 04:20 AM
i bealive packing it hard in there would work

That's retarded. The spark arrestor doesn't have any area which would accept packing, and if you just jam packing into the outlet of the muffler/spark arrester, it will either stall out the engine due to excessive backpressure, or blow all the packing out in a couple seconds. :crazy: