PDA

View Full Version : ARGGGGG!!! Float bowl gaskets!

TravEX
04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Any thing I can do to make these o-ring float bowl gaskets stay in place better to put the carb back together?! Some sort of glue that is gas-resistant? I can't get my 185S bowl to seal. I stuck the old one back in there and just letting it leak for now. The o-ring STRETCHED from the gas exposure and is junk now.

What kit has a molded gasket in it? The Moose doesn't.

Erics350x
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
i think hondabond or yamahas version is fuel resistant. i would try putting a small drop of super glue on each corner to hold it in place while installing the bowl.

HEAD09
04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
all i know it called seal-all i got it at the auto parts store and it made for gas products...

TravEX
04-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks, I gotta try something. Not leaking bad, but I'm ready to be done with this one and start some stuff on the 200X.

TravEX
04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I've got some seal-all in the shop, shoulda read the label on it, DOH!

The Goat
04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
there's also a type of sealant that works really well for securing the gaskets...anything that's fuel resistant and sticky would work.

pm iamschmee for what he uses...i can't think of the name of the stuff for the life of me.

TravEX
04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks goat

oldred95
04-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I'd say super glue but if you blink wrong those dang orings always seem to grow about one pant size.

TravEX
04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I thought about Vaseline, but doesn't that eat rubber? Did it work well?

Are the o-rings regular ole o-rings I can get at a parts store? Or are they gas-resistant special type?

TravEX
04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

super90
04-30-2008, 01:12 AM
I had this problem alot when I was messing with my carbs. Answer is propane torch. If you keep the heat far enough away to not melt it, you can literally watch it shrink.

CrazyK68
04-30-2008, 07:38 PM
all i know it called seal-all i got it at the auto parts store and it made for gas products...

Yeah Seal-All is what I used on my sons TRX 125 Carb. float bowl and it hasn't leaked yet. Some awesome stuff and smells good too. :w00t:

CrazyK :crazy:

TravEX
04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Did you use it to hold the gasket in place, or to actually seal the bowl to the carb?

TravEX
05-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I woulda used the Seal-All, but I guess I lost the o-ring gasket when I put the old gasket back in last weekend.

Thanks to Goat, I pm'd iamschme, and got his advise. He uses a gasket adhesive that Permatex makes, I couldn't find it, but found a substitute.
This:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/TravisLillard/05-03-08_1722.jpg

You can use it to hold the gasket in place when assembling, it's gas and oil resistent. Or, you can just use it for a gasket, like this:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/TravisLillard/05-03-08_1721.jpg

Gonna let that sit all night and put er back together tomorrow after Church. Iamschme said that after it sits over night it is still pliable and seals the carb very well. He says that he even has taken the carb bowl off several times and the seal still holds. I'm gonna give it a try and hopefully it works well.

Garage Boy 34
05-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I always use grip glue....honda offers it

TravEX
05-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks John, hehe. If this works, no more buying carb kits for me, cause most of the time the bowl gasket is all I really need. $4 a tube will do a TON of bowl gaskets.

Garage boy, do you use the grip glue to hold the gasket? or just make your own gasket?

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Is it me? or is your bowl filthy and stained inside??

TravEX
05-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it's stained heavily! This was a freebie that had been sitting for YEARS in my brother-in-laws barn. I got all the debris out of it, just the stain remains. Runs like a champ, got $50 in the whole trike.

TravEX
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
THat stuff worked great. This morning I checked on the float bowl (I left it sittting all night with the gasket adhesive in it), it had shrunk down into the gasket valley, so I applied another layer to it and let it sit for about 5 hours or so. I had a nice rounded dry bead this time. Put it back together and on the trike, and let it sit for 3 hours (I had 3 projects at once going on). Turned the gas on and ran it for a while, dry as a bone, no leaks. Gonna leave the gas on and check it in the morning. I dunno how it will be if I ever have to take the carb apart again, but even if I have to do this over again, it's well worth it to me.

Thorpe
05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Just a dab of white lthium works well too... Bastage polaris jetski o-ring head gaskets!!! That where I learned that trick... Wont damage your o-rings at all....

CrazyK68
05-04-2008, 11:34 PM
I woulda used the Seal-All, but I guess I lost the o-ring gasket when I put the old gasket back in last weekend.

Thanks to Goat, I pm'd iamschme, and got his advise. He uses a gasket adhesive that Permatex makes, I couldn't find it, but found a substitute.

Nice, Good info to know! I used the seal all to replace the area where the gasket was broke or cracked.

But I like Goats deal better, I'll have to pick some of that stuff up. Nice Job!

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner I haven't been on much, Work, Dunes, Work, Dunes..

Have a good one!

CrazyK

TravEX
05-15-2008, 08:50 PM
UPDATE!

It turned to goo in the bottom of my bowl! Riding it today, and wouldn't take throttle above 1/2, I know exactly what it was.

I need to get with iamschme and buy exactly what he uses, cause his stuff doesn't do that.

This stuff may work well just to stick the o-ring in place to assemble, but not the way I used it.

Erics350x
05-15-2008, 11:06 PM
threebond, hondabond, or yamaha's version will work great

TravEX
05-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Any site I can get that from? I'm rarely around any dealerships.

Frankencelery
05-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Permatex has a sealer called High Tack. I have it in a spray, which is great for paper gaskets, but harder to use on something like a float bowl. Seems to me like they offer it in a tube as well. It goes on red, and within a minute or two, it's very sticky. It's specifically designed for holding gaskets in place during assembly. I forgot all about it the other day when I was putting my 70 carb back on, and used Hondabond to hold the carb-to-intake o-ring in place. It didn't work all that well.

If your gasket fits, you can use vaseline no problem. I have one of those pop up swimming pools and they have you use vaseline on the o-rings and it's never caused a problem. The issue is when the gasket is a little too big or small, and won't stay in the groove. Then something like vaseline is nothing but trouble.

iamschme
05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
go to auto zone, permatex makes it it is called super tacky gasket sealant. it is in a white tube. it is yellow in color and is used to hold gaskets in place while assembling engines. put a tiny bit in the groove and press the oring in place. hold it a few seconds with some pressure on it. it holds and continues to hold after you take the bowl off and on again-without drying out /cracking/swelling the oring. it works for me!!!

MudBuggy
05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
loctite also makes a gasket maker and sticky solution to make the gasket first then spray a sticky adhesive over it to hold it in place and help seal. I use it on heavy duty diesel trucks and it has never let me down. Dries in about 10mn so its fast too.

Erics350x
05-16-2008, 05:51 PM
best stuff you can get http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=513&productId=p31120&leafCatId=51304&mmyId=
Or you can get a variaty of others that resist fuel (3M or Permatex) from your local auto parts store
Here's alittle info on Permatex products http://www.neverseezproducts.com/gasketseal.htm

TravEX
05-16-2008, 10:02 PM
i'm gonna get the Permatex stuff when I get a chance.

I found the o-ring (lost it for 3 weeks) and used Seal-All to stick it back, and it worked ok.