PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Stuck in reverse?

Trails4life
04-29-2008, 01:26 AM
I am thinking about buying a SX from a buddy of mine. He said it rode great, then one day he was riding it hard in reverse and then backed it into his garage and now it will not shift out of reverse.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really wanna get a 250SX and this one is fairly nice, I just wanna now how big of a problem I am walking into.

Thanks! and great forums!!:D

bigreddaddy
04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Its hard to say. If it were ME I would put the trike on its side and give the shifter a little help from a big hammer. The right way would be to take the right side cover off and check out the tranny gears, shift fork, etc. Make sure you have a service manual before you tear anything apart.

J.D.
04-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Could just be too much pressure on the gears. My 250SX's and Big Red, if you have pressure on it when in reverse it's hard to get it to shift back out of it. Try rocking the bike while moving the shifter, always works for me.

Trails4life
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Okay, thanks for the tips guys! I will try that and post back the results.

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Don't ever hammer a thing on a trike except a seized swinger bolt.

Take the cable off and get right at the lever that activates the reverse. Lots of times the SX has to be rocked back and forth to get it out of gear.

More than likely, the cable is adjusted too tight............

Howdy
04-29-2008, 06:00 PM

I agree Steve!!

If what Dirtcrasher says to do don't work, then I would check the shifter thingy ( proper name? I'm having a brain fart ) in the left side could be broken. It's not too hard of a fix if this is the problem, and the parts aren't to costly either. Do a search on the forums for "250sx shifter" and you should find more info.
Howdy

bigreddaddy
04-29-2008, 06:20 PM

:rolleyes: .............I've used a hammer several times successfully on trikes.....LOL

No one is telling this guy to get the biggest sledge hammer he can find and hit the shifter with everything he's got.

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
I and we all buy enough damaged ATC's and parts from people that have no idea how to be a mechanic. You know how many things I win on EBAY or buy from a fellow member and then they show up smashed, stripped and covered in vice marks?? Too many to count....

I use a plastic hammer on everything I work with. It doesn't remove paint, doesn't dent any surfaces and doesn't ruin anything regardless of how hard you hit it.

People who use hammers usually don't own the service manual either. Hammers are for carpenters, not for repairs....

Please don't advise people to use a hammer, if it works for you then great.

tanks350x
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
please take DC's advice, he has helped me out alot in the past few weeks with some axle issues

bigreddaddy
04-29-2008, 09:47 PM
I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he and MOST people who can read will use common sense when it comes to tools and trikes.