PDA

View Full Version : 200x bottom ends and the like...

Six Stroke
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
So, it's like this. I've got an '84 200x (sans engine) that I'm casually working on. I have an 83-ish big red engine to put it in, but I know where there's a later 200x engine as well.

Here's the deal - I heard from one guy, one guy mind you, that the 200x motors had weak bottom ends, and the slightly less powerful Big Red engine would last longer. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Yamaha man, but I've never known Honda to put out anything that poorly made for so long. I'd like to have the manual transmission/kickstart X engine, but I'm not really sure what to believe.

Is there any truth to what this guy said?

ebecme01
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Within my group of riding buddies we have 6 200Xs (83-85) and none of them have a bottom end issue. In fact, I really dont see how people wear these things out. The Big Red engine isnt a bad deal either, The later 200X engine you are talking about is a great engine from what I hear. If you get the 83-85 X engine and it looks has some hours on it, you may want to look into the kicker spring rebuild kit before you even put it in the frame. (look for an X stamped near the VIN, this means its already been replaced by Honda) If you look into the 86-87 200X engine, I am not all that educated on what to look for but many 3ww members are.... good luck

Six Stroke
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I didn't look it over that close, but he said it's a later oil cooled engine. I'm not familiar enough with the 200x (yet) to know if there was such a thing, but it doesn't turn over at any rate. I'd like to use the Red motor for a while so I can rebuild the X engine, provided it's a good place to start from.

ebecme01
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Oil cooled, nope. if its a later 200X engine, it may not fit all that easily. plus the electrical differences to deal with. I think the BR engine would be ok, might not fit without altering the front downtube to make room for the starter. easiest option is a 185 or 200 auto with pull start only or a good ol early 200X engine. Youve got many options, a nice X motor is a few hundred, a nice auto 200 is much cheaper. A newer 200X motor sounds like alot of work, but thats just my opinion.

Six Stroke
04-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Oops, sorry, I meant a later engine with an oil cooler, not an oil cooled engine.

Six Stroke
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Updated question - There's a good chance I'll be going to look at this motor again this weekend. How do I tell (roughly) what year it is?