PDA

View Full Version : Champion swingarm on 86 tecate?

RID3R
04-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Any of you tecate guys think about using a 84/5 champion swingarm on your 86/7 tecates? Im not looking for any length, i just really like the look of these swingarms. I heard they have a problem though with the bearings or something? I think ill have to get rid of the 86 link though, right? Just wondering, I may give it a try.

ccdhowell
04-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I run a Champion on my 85 with the 86 link so I know the link will work. The 85 link is wider where it bolts to the swinger so you'll have to use a couple washers as a spacer. As far as bearings, I got mine it had some bronze bushings pressed in it and I couldn't get them out. I bought a set of teflon bushings from x.system here on the board and lathe stepped them down to fit into the bronze bushings and step up to fit the ID of the swinger. It has worked well for near a year now. The ID of the bronze bushings is far too large for the swinger bolt, and the bronze bushings don't completely fill the length of each side of the swinger. There is maybe 1/2 inch on each side of it, I guess for a seal, but the nylon/teflon/plastic bushings I'm using now don't use seals so the extra space made a nice shelf to help support the inner portion of the bushing. This sounds worse than it is. It took me half a day to realize what was needed and trial and error lathe the bushings to the correct size, then install and test ride. Unfortionately I'm not good at taking pictures as I work unless I know in advance someone wants me to; I have no pics of the stepped bushings.

Hope this helps,
Chris

RID3R
04-23-2008, 04:02 AM
Thanks for all the info, ill come back to this thread when I get the champion swingarm. And have some pics. Wondering what all was done to try and get the bronze bushings out? Ofcourse without them this work will not be needed? I thought it was a problem with the swingarm and the bearings not fitting. Again thanks.

scooterroo
04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
just remember, if its a +2 84/85 champion your not going to be gaining any length on the 86 seeing is how the stock 86 swinger is longer then the 84/85. but yeah should bolt right up and work great.