PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z crank seal?

clutchcargo
04-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok guys, let me pick your brains and see what you think. I took the z out with a fresh engine this past weekend and it ran great until I got it up to higher speeds in 4th and 5th gear. Then it would bog and surge like the clutch was slippping, but the clutch is fine. I took it easy until it cleared up and then it was ok again for awhile. I went through a bunch of water and it started to run like crap again, so I went through all of the usual and found some water in the ignition/flywheel cover. I cleaned it out and it fired right up, so I figured that the problem was solved. It started the same problem again after somemore puddles. So I took the left side cover off and fired it up, at which point, it revved to the moon and I couldn't shut it off {engine ran away}. I tried to shut it off with the kill switch, blocking the airbox and exhaust and only shut down until I popped it into gear with the brakes locked. Is it possible that I have a bad left side crank seal and it's sucking air? Once I reinstalled the cover I was able to start it and get it back to the house and it ran ok as long as I didn't get into higher speeds. It would explain why it ran weird at high speeds, like it was leaning out. Otherwise it ran strong.

Bryan Raffa
04-21-2008, 06:54 AM
when you say fresh engine..are you saying the top end?

Yes that sounds like it is the problem

pull your stator cover off and grab the flywheel and see if theres any movement..if you got movement .. your crank bearings are shot

crank seals can be replaced without splitting the cases.You will have too remove the flywheel and stator to get to the left side.The right you will have to remove the clutch basket,the drive gear,and the seal retainer.

also if its the right side you will smell burnt motor oil smell in the exhaust..not 2 stroke smell

clutchcargo
04-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I bought the whole engine a long time ago and it appears that everything was gone through. It has a new hot rod crank and top end at the very least. It looks like whoever worked on it did a decent job, but who knows. It does have higher compression also, but I don't know what the numbers are yet. I just got back from a trip and the bike is still at my friends house, so I can't look at anything right now.