PDA

View Full Version : 310 Problems UPDATED: !!!!!!! ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

dizasterzrfun69
04-16-2008, 10:14 PM
A big problem :rolleyes: i JUST got a throttle cable for my 310 that has been sitting since last june/july. It wouldnt start after i put the cable on and so i gave it a VERY SMALL shot of starting fluid and it fired up for like .873 seconds and then died, i kept trying to start it (without starting fluid) and one time the kicker kicked back at me which it has NEVER done to me. a few kicks later i pulled the plug, got a new one and discovered i have no spark. After about 4-5 hours of messing with it i decided to pull the side case off to see if anything "looked broken" and this is what i found.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Dizasterzrfun69/100_0598.jpg

evand
04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
man that sucks the big one. sounds like your having the same luck as myself

dizasterzrfun69
04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
man that sucks the big one. sounds like your having the same luck as myself

yea i must be. I pulled the engine out of my 85 tecate the other day to rebuild the kicker and tranny. When i pulled the motor out a big chunk of the left side case by the swingarm pivot fell onto the ground :rolleyes: I ordered the seals to rebuild a 350x front caliper, got them and decided to give it a whirl. 1-seal, a couple beers, and alot of cussing later, i still am where i was a week ago with it :mad: someone doesnt want me going to trikefest.............:(

evand
04-16-2008, 10:25 PM
lol man, that sucks! good luck getting them back together tho. hopefully you can get atleast one going for TF:TrikesOwn

ATC-Eric
04-16-2008, 11:07 PM
That sucks Kevin. Do it man, be seein you soon!!!!!!!!!!!

200x Basket
04-17-2008, 10:42 AM
what caused that to happen? I have seen bearings go bad but that is different

dizasterzrfun69
04-17-2008, 03:48 PM
what caused that to happen? I have seen bearings go bad but that is different

i have NO idea. i havent tore into it yet, i dont have to split the cases do I? i think that counterbalancer is accessible from the other side.

200x Basket
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
it will come out from the other side. looks like there is some water in the tranny fluid. maybe the water pump froze and pushed the counter balancer over.

dizasterzrfun69
04-19-2008, 04:29 PM
well i got the bearig holder off and it looks almost like a flat head screwdriver was punched through it from the inside. im about to go pull the motor so i can really tear into it. it's also scuffed up towards the outside of the bearing. the bearing feels fine from what i can tell. i'll be looking for one of these bearing holders and possibly some waterpump parts of 200xbasket is right about the water pump. any ideas on how to "clean" the stator? it has gear oil all over it and its also all over the pulse generator. http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Dizasterzrfun69/100_0600.jpg

dizasterzrfun69
04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
well i pulled the other side case off and didnt find anything wrong. the water pump isnt froze up but the bearing should probablly be replaced. i really dont have the time/money to split the cases unless i really need to. what do you guys think? i dont see anything wrong and the motor still turns over freely. should i just get a new counter balancer bearing holder and put it back together? im assuming/hoping whateever was in it got chopped up and spit out, but that still doesnt tell me what was in there.

Jason Hall
04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Man Kevin that's really weird. I have never seen that before. It looks like the previous owner tryed to remove the balancer bearing retainer with a screw driver like you stated earlier. I would say that piece of aluminum that broke got wrapped up in the stator and possibly got stuck between the pulser and the flywheel and opened the air gap to wide. I would replace the retainer and run It. I can't think of anything Internal that could get In between the balancer shaft and the retainer to do that kind of damage. Wait a minute, that could be the pin that turns the water pump shaft, you better pull off the right side cover and make sure the drive pin Is still there. i will look at one of my extra balancer shafts and see if the shaft Is hollow.

Jason Hall
04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Well the balancer shaft Is not hollow, so I doubt It's the water pump drive pin.

dizasterzrfun69
04-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Well the balancer shaft Is not hollow, so I doubt It's the water pump drive pin.

i thought the same thing so i checked that and its intact, im lost. i heated the holder up and popped the bearing out thinking MAYBE a piece of the "cage" around the balls in the bearing on the inside might have broken somehow but its all in good shape. from what i can tell there is NO physical way that something could have got in there to break that without doing more damage than it did. any ideas on what to clean the stator and pulse generator off with? i think it MIGHT be alright after i kick it over a few times but i rather clean the oil off and be sure.

dizasterzrfun69
04-19-2008, 10:54 PM
i just dug through some parts and found a bearing holder/carrier :w00t: were these different from the atc's to trx's? i think the one is an aftermarket but i think its virtually the same thing. you can see marks on it from a mill when they made it, i think all hondas are cast.

Jason Hall
04-20-2008, 06:57 AM
There is no difference from the atc to the trx bearing retainer. I would clean the stator with brake clean.

dizasterzrfun69
04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
well i was just putting it back together and realized neither of the 2 washers/shims are on the kicker shaft, that cant be good. i might throw it back together without them and see how it works, they havent been there this long then i doubt it'll do too much damage.

200x Basket
04-21-2008, 09:16 AM
the 86 did not have the two shims on the outer collar. if the collar is thinkc mo shims and if it is thin it should have two.

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
the 86 did not have the two shims on the outer collar. if the collar is thinkc mo shims and if it is thin it should have two.

hmmm, my manual showed them but it must be for the 85's only then. thanks for the heads up

PWK39
04-21-2008, 06:51 PM
why dont you use some electric parts cleaner usually right next to the brake cleen at the auto parts store.;)

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
why dont you use some electric parts cleaner usually right next to the brake cleen at the auto parts store.;)

i got some battery cleaner but i figured that wouldnt cut the gear oil

tri-Z ripper
04-21-2008, 06:57 PM
or at autzone or napa they sell specific electric parts cleaners for alternators and stuff im sure its simillar to brake cleaner fast drying!!!

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
well i got the engine back together and bolted it in the frame, didnt bother with the carb/exhaust yet. I hooked up the electronics and i still have no spark. If i use a 12v circuit tester should the pulse generator light it up? the alternator lights it up, on either of the 2 alternator wires but the pulse generator doesnt. the pulse generator checks out for resistance with 114 OHMs. the book says it should be in the range of 50 to 200 OHMs. i thought maybe it was the cdi so i took one off of a 350x that i KNOW is good but i still have no spark, i tested the coil AND the wires that plug into the coil, no juice is running to any of it. Im lost..... any ideas?

Billy Golightly
04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Kevin, Ground?

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
i've cleaned the ground to where its good bare metal AND i put a star washer on it.

Mosh
04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Stator/pick-up coil, or your on-off switch.Disconnect any kill switchs you have on the bike and try again.The 350x cdi should have fired it if the stator/pick-up coil was good.

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Stator/pick-up coil, or your on-off switch.Disconnect any kill switchs you have on the bike and try again.The 350x cdi should have fired it if the stator/pick-up coil was good.

well when i plug in the 12v test light to the stator/alternator wires it lights up, the pulse generator im not getting anything from the pulse generator hardly BUT like i said, it has 114 OHMs of resistance so i'd think its good

Billy Golightly
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Have you ohmed the stator? Whats it reading?

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
well i just put a stator/ pulse generator on there off of a 250r parts motor and still have nothing. :mad:

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
any other input?

Billy Golightly
04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Did you try unplugging the switch? So let me get the list here right:

CDI, changed
Stator Pulse generator, Changed original Pulse generator was in ohm spec.
Ground, has been checked

How about your coil?

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Did you try unplugging the switch? So let me get the list here right:

CDI, changed
Stator Pulse generator, Changed original Pulse generator was in ohm spec.
Ground, has been checked

How about your coil?

the "extra" cdi i have been trying was off of a 350x i had running a couple weeks ago,

the stator/pulse generator checked out good but i still tried one off of a parts motor and still have nothing,

ground has been cleaned/ground down, and i put a star washer on it also.

the coil checked out good but to make it easier i unpluged the coild and have been trying to get power to the wires that plug into it

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 10:37 PM
heres what i have, i think (it's late, im tired).

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/Dizasterzrfun69/250rwiringharnesswithwriting.jpg

dizasterzrfun69
04-21-2008, 10:38 PM
i circled the end of the wire/connection where i tested them at

dizasterzrfun69
04-22-2008, 04:50 PM
.......................anyone got any ideas?

dizasterzrfun69
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I GOT SPARK!!! :w00t: i have some mystery wire harness and cdi i got from my old man, I "kinda" wired it up and i had spark. it has a tiny cdi on it (like 125m) so im not leaving that on there. it still makes no sense to me why i didnt have spark with the 350x cdi unless they are totally different or that 350x cdi went bad within a couple weeks. i think this harness i got might be an 85R but im not sure, i do know i have an 85 harness somewhere around here.

Now im looking for an 85 OR 86 cdi (blackbox) if anybody has one. I have an 85 and 86 harness so either or will work.

dizasterzrfun69
05-21-2008, 07:08 PM
well i ended up using an 85 harness that i had and an 85 CDI i got from another member. i've been messing with it for the last couple of days and just got it running/riding about 30 minutes ago :w00t:

Billy Golightly
05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Awesome, glad you got it going again. Those electrical problems are a pain in the ass. That CDI I sent ya was a no go too huh?

dizasterzrfun69
05-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Awesome, glad you got it going again. Those electrical problems are a pain in the ass. That CDI I sent ya was a no go too huh?

well thats the conclusion i came to billy. i had so many different electrical components plugged into so many different things im not 100% sure its bad. i think its bad but im not positive.