PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and have a project on my hands

ridinfast03
04-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, first off nice forum! Im coming over from some of the larger 4wheeler forums and didn't realize there was such a trike following still. I did see alot of you guys at trikefest in Indiana last year I bet though.

Heres the story. I just recently picked up a 1985 Kawi KLT 160 Black. The little research I have done on here leads me to believe that this model could be a basket case, thankfully it does run and has 98% percent of its original parts. The only true thing missing is a stock shifter.

Heres a little background on the bike and how I got it. It used to belong to my grandparents and was used on their hay fields. My dad has 4 other brothers so when anyone would visit you had to play on the trike and it has been abused cosmetically. Last year my grandfather pasted away and grandma left it to me out of the 34 grandchildren in the family. Whoo hoo:w00t:
I guess she knew I would take care of it and not pawn it off for beer like some of the rest would. So now it sits in my stable with my 2006 Yfz450, drag/dune setup Blaster, flat trak setup Warrior*ongoing project, and 2006 stock banshee. So i have plenty of 4 wheel knowledge but not so much on the 3 wheel side.

Obviously I get how the motor operates and all the mechanical stuff but I need to know what things to look for during a restoration for this trike or generall issues? I would really like to restore this little thing for the family to see "but not touch" :lol: So please share your comments.

Rob

SYKO
04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
hola gringo! I got a 160 roller, if you pay shiping on parts I will more then be happy to send you some extra parts!

dizasterzrfun69
04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
:welcome: what part of IN are you from?

ridinfast03
04-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Hola another Chick Mcgee fan!! Im from the center good ol Indy. I live 10 min from both IMS and IRP. Hey sykolincoln you got a shifter lever in decent shape?

I am also on the prowl for a 250r trike if you see any in Indiana go up. I passed on a mint 86 quad for 1500 last summer and want to kick my own rear.

SYKO
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
sorry no shifter, mainly a bare roller frame w/front suspension.

200x Basket
04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
try service honda for a new shifter. it may be cheaper then you think. I bought a new shifter for my 250r for $15.

ridinfast03
04-21-2008, 07:45 AM
^^^Are you saying that I should go to honda and see what they have as far as shifters? Do any bolt on to a kawi?