PDA

View Full Version : What works as a temporary hold for o-rings?

Tri-ZNate
04-16-2008, 02:44 AM
I got my cool head for the Z but i cant for the life of me keep the 2 larger o-rings seated long enough to put the head on. Is there anything I can put in the groove to hold it in there long enough to install or am i just doing something wrong?

Also are the only 2 things that keep the dome from sliding out is the o-ring which seals the dome to the head and the spark plug? havent installed yet so making a comclusion from looking at it.

Red Rider
04-16-2008, 03:22 AM
Is there anything I can put in the groove to hold it in there long enough to install or am i just doing something wrong?

Also are the only 2 things that keep the dome from sliding out is the o-ring which seals the dome to the head and the spark plug? havent installed yet so making a comclusion from looking at it.From experience with Pro-Design cool heads, you can use a little vaseline in the o-ring grooves & that should hold them in place while you lower the head onto the cylinder. Yes, the 2 o-rings around the the sparkplug hole will keep the dome from sliding out of the head. Once in place, the dome will mate against the top of the cylinder, and that will prevent it from falling into the cylinder bore.

Bryan Raffa
04-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I use wheel grease..Just enough too fill the groove..wipe off the excess when the O ring is in place. and if that dont work use a little High Tack Spray..yes the O ring will hold it in place wile your droolin on it..like Red Rider said.. once bolted on ,Theres no where it can go.

iamschme
04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
if you go to auto zone or napa look at the gasket makers. permatex has a gasket sealer that is intended to hold gaskets in place during assembly. i have used it many times over and over on carb orings. you know the ones where the oring is round but where it has to go and stay are not round.

if you apply just a little of it to the gasket or oring, it will keep them in place and resists gasoline and other chemicals pretty well. it even held the orings that swole up after having gas hit them. i just put a little bit in the groove, pressed the oring where i needed it and that's it. Hope this helps.

helped me out a lot when my 300 r needed carb work that required complete disassembly.