PDA

View Full Version : cr250 ignition

EAT_A_450
04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Anyone have a cr250 ignition on their 250r? pro's & con's? I bought 1 but haven't put it on yet.

deathman53
04-15-2008, 08:15 PM
the cons: no lights, stalls kinda easy, don't recommend it for the woods. The pro's: better spark, less wires, can be bought NEW, some say better power, also more consistant performance. I have them on my 250r's, mine are primary for mx, I don't recommend it for woods and tight riding.

Billy Golightly
04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Night and day change in engine performance on my 270 when I ran it. It doesn't have the ability to "lug" around as much, but the cleanliness of the power from 1/2 throttle up made up for it by a long shot for me.

EAT_A_450
04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
So I won't be able to putt around without it stalling? I can get a lighting stator for the lights. This is a woods bike but I want every edge I can get to shut down the 450's in the woods and in a staight line but I do have to putt some when riding with the kids. Will I need to change my jetting?

Billy Golightly
04-16-2008, 10:07 AM
you can still putt around, its just you might need to use the clutch more as you wont be able to go from a low speed putt and be able to whick the throttle into the upper RPM range as quickly as you could before. I don't know if I'd reccomend it for a mostly woods machine, its a pretty expensive setup to not like at about $500.

You probably wont have to mess with jetting unless you've got yours jetted bleeding edge lean right now, the CR ignition seems to have the ability to burn a slightly richer mixture without carboning and fouling up then the stock setup, mainly because the 20 year old stock ignitions are getting weak anyways.

EAT_A_450
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Thank Billy, I already have the ignition though- got it for $250- adapter plate and all. My jug is just getting worked on at the moment so I can't try it out. I just want to know what to expect and if I'm not any faster then I will be selling it. I'm in the process of making a 450 killer. Bone stock I could run (drag race) a piped & cammed 450 dead even through 3rd but when I hit 4th he left me. My setup now is mx ported jug with exhaust raised a smidge, 38 airstryker, cr vf3, k&N with outerware- no lid, cool head, paul Turner Hi-rev and the ignition. I think that I'll stop him now, I just have to get this thing back together and dial it in. Anything that you recommend on me changing/ improving?

Billy Golightly
04-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Sounds like you've got everything covered without getting real exotic. I wanted to add and I forgot to in my last post, that I had actually purchased a Steahly brand flywheel weight for the 01 ignition system out of the dennis kirk catalog. It fit the flywheel fine, but...the special nut that is included to replace the OEM flywheel nut and keep the weight held on is a different diameter and thread from the ATC/TRX crank. You could probably have a new nut made and then be able to use the flywheel weight though.

EAT_A_450
04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you've got everything covered without getting real exotic. I wanted to add and I forgot to in my last post, that I had actually purchased a Steahly brand flywheel weight for the 01 ignition system out of the dennis kirk catalog. It fit the flywheel fine, but...the special nut that is included to replace the OEM flywheel nut and keep the weight held on is a different diameter and thread from the ATC/TRX crank. You could probably have a new nut made and then be able to use the flywheel weight though.

Are you saying that you still have it?

Billy Golightly
04-16-2008, 08:35 PM
the flywheel weight? Yes, I never got around to getting a new nut made and it wont fit on my 500s flywheel. It wasn't to bad expensive, like $70 at Dennis Kirk I think, might be worth a try. I'm gonna probably keep mine though.