PDA

View Full Version : Help with 350X timing...

atczack
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Guys,

I was a retard and didn't pay attention to the timing mark's on my '85 350X when I tore it down. I figured it would be pretty easy to reset, but it's kicking my butt! I took the screw cap out of the side of the case with the timing groove in it, I lined up the "F" on the flywheel with the groove on the case, the piston is at the top, the cam gear mark is at the top. It has spark, get's fuel, I also tried putting the flywheel on "F" and having the mark on the cam gear straight down but still nothing. You would think it would backfire or pop or something, but I get nothing. I tried looking up a past thread where maybe somebody asked this question before but I couldn't find anything. I also tried looking it up in the tech section and googleing it also. I am ordering a manual but would like to try to get this fixed before I ride Saturday because I would rather ride the X than the R. Thank's for any info.
Zack R. (atczack)

hrc200x
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Align the T in the left side cover, not the F. T is top dead center, F I belive is when it fires. Install cam with lobes facing downward. On either the cam or the cam sprocket you should see lines, they should line up perpendicular to the deck on the head where the head cap bolts down.

lndy650
04-15-2008, 08:16 AM
like hrc200x said cam lobes down and align the lines on the cam sprocket to the head. my 350x only had one line on the sprocket i had to line it up on the exhaust side of the head. once you do all that spin it over and back to T again and make sure everything lines up and the piston is tdc.
you will never use the F on the flywheel thats when the engine fires it was needed on the old cd ignitions like the 200's and 110's ect... to align the spark advancer.

atczack
04-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Thank's HRC and Indy, I called Billy earlier in the day yesterday and he said he had a feeling it might go perpendicular to the head also. I will try it Friday and hopefully it work's. Thank's guy's.
Zack R. (atczack)

threewheelin-feelin
04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
she will fire up when you get it right ....heres a tip get a friend to hold the T mark in place while you work on lining the cam gear up its tough to do alone