PDA

View Full Version : valve guides

slipjoint
04-14-2008, 08:04 PM
my son's 1984 200S has maybe 50 miles on it at most - it set in a shop for 20 plus years without ever being started - i bought the bike - it runs & looks perfect but after it sets for a day she smokes for maybe 5 minutes on startup - then no more smoke until it sets a day or two - so i assume the guides are cracked or hard - is this a big job to replace the guides - is there a shop manual i should buy - should i pull the engine - any special tools needed? -

thanks in advance - slip
http:///www.picturetrail.com/tomhudson

Dirtcrasher
04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Yes, you will need a shop manual and yes you will need special tools to remove and press in valve guides. Sounds like it is just the valve seals but you still need a spring compressor to do that unless you are very creative. If it has that few hours, the guides are probably perfect....

I also find the guides to be made from a very porous material, they are definitely cast "something" and unless everything is just right, you ruin the bore either installing or removing them.

It really is quite a bit of work unless you tinker with this stuff all the time.....

And YES, the shop will turn this into a 300$ repair or more.....