PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r starting and tuning ?

saladboy
04-13-2008, 01:01 AM
i read the thread by dammit on jetting and got some good info.know i have a few ? on diffcult starting of my 85 r.i heard bad reeds can cause hard starting how can you tell if your reeds are bad.can you tell by looking at them?also my bike is completely stock with the exception of a k&n filter in the stock air box.do i need to jet it up?i have a stock #142 jet in it and my idle and air screw are out two turns.after reading dammits piece on jetting i wondering if i should turn my air screw in 1/2 turn to richen it up because the k/n fiter draws more air then a stock filter.would that cause hard starting?

whyzee
04-13-2008, 05:45 AM
check your fuel filter screen inside the tank, clogged vent hose etc...
open the choke and blip the throttle 2x before you kick it on a cold motor. should fire right up.
On a warm motor no choke and HOLD the throttle about 1/2 way open and kick.

if you are still having problems we will move on to the next step.

Also,put a new plug in it and fresh gas, drain the carb bowl, clean the bowl and while it is off, turn the gas on and let some fresh gas run through the carb, into an appropriate container..

jeffatc250r
04-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Take the pilot jet out and make sure there is noting in it. You may have to turn the screw in a bit to get more fuel to get better results with starting. If it still starts hard with the screw all the way in try a bigger pilot.

saladboy
04-13-2008, 01:12 PM
took out the pilot jet cleaned it turned the air screw all the way,1/2 turn,1turn,1 1/2 turn changed the main jet to a 155 .one thing i did notice is after trying to start it, i undid the bowl drain nut to change the main jet i thought alot of fuel would be in the bowl and there was not just a little bit came out.i read last night that my reeds could cause hard starting.how can you tell if your reeds are bad.

whyzee
04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
took out the pilot jet cleaned it turned the air screw all the way,1/2 turn,1turn,1 1/2 turn changed the main jet to a 155 .one thing i did notice is after trying to start it, i undid the bowl drain nut to change the main jet i thought alot of fuel would be in the bowl and there was not just a little bit came out.i read last night that my reeds could cause hard starting.how can you tell if your reeds are bad.

there should have been ALOT of fuel coming out. You have a faulty/clogged petcock or filter. Take your petcock off of the tank and clean it!!! check your fuel line also, if you have an inline fuel filter, lose it!!! Forget the jets for now, stock should be fine, forget the reeds for now. Try and start the bike with the petcock on reserve
your getting warmer!!!!:beer

jeffatc250r
04-13-2008, 03:00 PM
You also could have a sticking seat in the carb, which wouldnt allow fuel to flow. Disconnect the fuel line to the carb also to see if whyzee's theory is correct and see if fuel if coming from the tank properly.

saladboy
04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
i will try that on monday,however i did pull the tank and turn on the gas and gas did flow out.i took the carb off and cleaned it good.pulled the reeds out also i'm not sure what bad ones look like but they were not crack or broken,but they did have some oil build up on them.

whyzee
04-14-2008, 05:52 AM
i will try that on monday,however i did pull the tank and turn on the gas and gas did flow out.i took the carb off and cleaned it good.pulled the reeds out also i'm not sure what bad ones look like but they were not crack or broken,but they did have some oil build up on them.

man you were HELLBENT on taking those reeds out,

your problem is in your fuel flow, forget the reeds!!!!!
go with jeffatc250r and clean the crap out of that carb, but pull the petcock!!! drain and clean your gas tank with the petcock off and the tank off the bike.
You guys would be AMAZED at what I have seen in a tank , check your gas cap ,pull the vent line and look through it, make sure there is NO blockage!!! :beer

ceaserthethird
04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Cheaper to buy a Re-build kit for the CARB. at e-GaY.com $15.00 or so ...

Buy Carb Cleaner & blast away on all the small hole's

Clean the Gas Cap , tank , and Petcock ....

saladboy
04-16-2008, 03:28 PM
you were right my petcock is bad no flow.have to order one thanks for all your help.when i get it i will let you no if it works.

saladboy
04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
hey whyzee,cleaned out petcock put it back on my bike and it fired up in 2 kick(with my old reeds)haha thanks for all the good adivce.

whyzee
04-19-2008, 07:58 AM
hey whyzee,cleaned out petcock put it back on my bike and it fired up in 2 kick(with my old reeds)haha thanks for all the good adivce.

No problemo.
The reason why you keep it simple first is because you tend to do more damage by opening up your bike. Plus years of broken/clogged petcock helps. I didn't want to see you develop an air leak by taking the reeds out. :beer
This site has helped me many times also !!!!