PDA

View Full Version : twisted frame

oldred95
04-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Somehow or another the rear section of my 200X's frame got twisted in its lifetime and I believe it sits low on the left side. When I pulled the engine all the bolts slid right out and it fit back in good as well so I don't think its twisted that far forward. The rear section of the frame is pretty simple, 4 small pieces of tubing is about it. Is there any reason why I can't persuade it back into place? The fenders sitting crooked bothers me.

i58829
04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't use heat when persuading it back to where you want it, that will take away from the structural support it should have. Even if its tweaked a little do you think you could simply trim the top of the rubber that the seat rests on to make the one side a little lower to even it out? Or maybe a shim in the seat braces itself between the metal and the plastics? Just a thought, it'd be a shame to have something go wrong and then you'd have to buy a whole new frame...

oldred95
04-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Its not that bad of a twist but its enough that it bothers me. I thought about trimming the seat mounts but thats just covering up the underlying problem. I've got this feeling these frames bend like butter no heavier then they are. My dad has a solid bar about 5 feet long that should do the trick I think. Just curious if there's any reason why I shouldn't do this.

250rfan
04-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Get the bar, and some help, if you can tie down the axel to stop the left or right side from lift up as you apply pressure that would be best.

Tweeking the rear end as you have described is fine i,ve down it plenty of times, as you say these frames are weak at the rear, all you need is a long bar or piece of wood.

Your lucky it's not the front, now that's a bit harder to tweek.

sandpuppi101
04-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I would Not put any heat on the frame to bend it back in place if you can avoid it.Hence: it's gonna make the frame harder and more brittle in the long run.Put the frame on the ground and take a good look at it and make sure it's not twisted in the backbone anywhere,I've seen it and actually have a nice frame that's basically scrap,cuz it's bent on the lower backbone .Wish ya luck..

Dirtcrasher
04-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I have used this method before -

I took the engine out and set the lower rails on concrete. I put 3/8 anchors in the concrete and I made a piece of flat stock about 3" wide x 16" long with 2 holes drilled in it. I bolted the lower frame rails to the floor with that piece of steel and it was solid as a rock. Then I could take a 4x4 to the rear and a 7/8 pipe fit in the neck and the frame could be manipulated any way I wanted :D

oldred95
04-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Sounds like its no big deal. I'll have to give it a try sometime. FWIW I don't think anything on forward is twisted. It tracks as straight as an arrow.