PDA

View Full Version : Basic maintenance on 250r.......?

WEATHERBY460
04-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Just got a 86 atc 250r, and need some help on getting it set up nice.

It does have a 310 big bore kit in it.

What type of oil, and what ratio?

Coolant...what kind, and what ratio?

Correct spark plug?

Best air filter?

I will be ordering a clymer manual later this week, but figured you guys have better answers.

Thanks, will post a picture later.

Mosh
04-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Congrats on your new trike and welcome to the Forum!
Pics will really help us identify your new machine.
Most 310 kits have some etching in the jug from the builder,and alot of them run a coolhead.
Your carb should be a t least a 38-39 millimeter size.
I like to run Maxima 927 Or Koltz 2 stroke oil at 42-1 ratio.
But IF your 310 jug has a powervalve,you will want 2 stroke oil that is compatibale for powervalves.
Get some pis up.Sounds like a nice machine!
Uni or K&N make great air filters.

deathman53
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
no way for k&n filter for me, they let way too much dirt in. If you have a pv, you want to use klotz tc-w(in the snowmobile parts unlimited book) or bel-ray h1-r. I run everything at 32:1(4oz/1 gallon).

WEATHERBY460
04-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Just got home with it...

it has the following....

K&N air filter
answer silencer
paul turner exhaust
310 big bore (170 lbs compression)

My main concern is the correct octane fuel I should run....does anyone have a recommendation?

WEATHERBY460
04-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Also, the keihn carb must have a bad needle/seat...it leaks fuel all over if the external shutoff is open..........

Billy Golightly
04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Thats a pretty common thing on any of the Kiehins thats more then 5 years old, and you cant replace the seats. Its Keihins way of making sure everyone buys new ones :rolleyes: Don't let that discourage you too much about them though, they are IMO the best gas carb there is. I'd reccomend a new 38 or 39mm PWK series. You probably have an old PJ type, and the PWK is a nice upgrade.

Fuel and octane is hard to say without knowing how the head is domed, although I'm gonna say with it having 170psi you'd be fine with regular old pump gas.

Plug run a NGK brand B9ES to start with and you can probably run an 8 too.

Coolant, typically a 50/50 mix of water and a regular antifreeze unless you run a special coolant like engine ice.