hondari\
04-11-2008, 09:29 PM
is there any way i can put an oil cooler on my 200x

edog
04-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Search above.

Vealmonkey
04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I have a kit that put the 200x oil cooler under the rear fender attached to the frame and the kit includes the fiberglass scoop that helps direct air into the cooler through a hole you cut into the fender. The instructions tell how to drill and tap the case for the oil cooler. I'll try and get some pictures.

Vealmonkey
04-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Here are some pictures of my oil cooler kit.

84honda200s
04-11-2008, 11:49 PM
i did it to my auto-x........listen to vealmonkey ....he helped me out allot on mine. he knows whats up when it comes to these bad boys.

SWIGIN
04-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Here are some pictures of my oil cooler kit.

the derral (spelling?) cooler i put on my 200x back in the day had instructions just like the 3rd pic but instead of useing a steel ball to block the oil passage it had you tap the hole and run a bolt in.

Bryan Raffa
04-12-2008, 07:32 AM
veal.. I would have that scoop reproduced.. I could use that!:naughty:

heres mine so far...with a 350x cooler and mine keep's the shock rezzie in the stock location

I love how everyone said dont mount it like that...:rolleyes: :lol:

Bryan Raffa
04-12-2008, 07:41 AM
heres another one I found in my search when I was looking into it

Vealmonkey
04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Who does fiberglass work on here? If I knew of someone who would make the mold it would be up for loaning out. And I mean someone with lots of experience. I have some other bits for molding too. I've been looking for someone to pop a mold off of my dune buggy body, it's rare and needs replaced.

vegas250rr
08-16-2008, 06:20 PM
heres another one I found in my search when I was looking into it

haha, that was my bike at one time!

freaksfix
08-16-2008, 08:59 PM
here is how i did mine...

BigRed_Ryno
08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
so whats the benefits of an oil cooler then? obviously it cools the oil, but surely couln't you just run a higher grade oil?

84honda200s
08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
so whats the benefits of an oil cooler then? obviously it cools the oil, but surely couln't you just run a higher grade oil?

you could but it wouldnt flow as easy because the oil pumps in these motors arnt made for real thick, heavy oil. heavier oil takes forever to get warm enough to flow easy. not to mention its a royal pain to start the motor with heavy oil.

Ed200x
01-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Let's look at the oil flow path diagram in the 'ol Honda service manual (Page: 2-0). What I see from this is the following.--

1. Sump oil is pulled through the strainer/screen and flows to the oil-pump inlet.
2. Pressurized oil leaves the pump by way of a Y-passage cast in the side case and forms two streams. Stream A. flows aft and is split into smaller streams to provide lubrication and cooling to the valve-train, clutch, transmission parts.
Stream B. is special in a very significant way from Stream A.
3. Stream B. Flows out onto the side cover, makes a 180 and is hurled into the maelstrom formed by the spinning cup of the "centrifugal oil filter".
4. Now this part of our luricating oil has been treated to 2 things the other stream was not. First and most important was the removal of a majority of suspended dirt, rust, grit and such by the centrifugal filter, and it sounds lame but it also recieved a bit of cooling due to the journey in the side cover and whirl-twirl in the filter.
5. This is all done because the job of this stream of lube is the hardest, yet the most important of all. It lubes the 2 main bearings and 1 rod bearing.
6. Any one who has been around engines can confirm that the most common by -far reason for early engine death in "The dreaded knocking ROD"! That big rod end bearing is the most highly stressed single part in an engine.
7. So what does that oil cooler do?? The cooler the oil the higher it's shear strength and it's viscosity enabling it to prevent direct contact of parts, reduce friction, absorb shock, and the cooler it is, the more heat it can remove from the part..
To wit---- Longer engine life. Keep Ridin'!

Vealmonkey
01-29-2009, 03:55 AM
A nice explanation and very well said. Thank you very much.

The Goat
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm sure Aussie could reproduce in poly.

freaksfix
01-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I wonder if we could just add another passage.. Tap the case like we have but only one hole with no center block off and instead of returning the "cooled" oil back into the same oil passage, dump it back into the rocker box instead?

Would this cause too much oil in the rocker box, and not beable to drain down fast enough? And with out putting the center block off bolt would the oil pump beable to push the oil up to the cooler and still continue in the original route?

Mickey Dunlap
01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
It's funny to see where they mounted the oil cooler because that is where Powroll mounted mine in 1983 right before I won the Kingdome race. I don't know if these are copys of Powroll cooler kit or what but I think we done it first on my 212cc stroker motors.

Bryan Raffa
01-29-2009, 08:00 PM
212cc stroker motor...:naughty: I gotta get mine done....:(