PDA

View Full Version : Tight Valves

ducati998
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
quick question IF I HAVE REALLY TIGHT VALES once i turn my engine over to the compression stroke and then fire stroke and if i have no play in the valves watch no ever (clearance) will i get spark or does it matter?

oOGoFastOo
04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
getting spark has nothing to do with the valves. you wont have any compression if your valves are to tight but you would still have spark.

cr480r
04-09-2008, 05:44 PM
What machine is this on? Is it your ducati?

darrel632
04-10-2008, 11:27 AM
to give you a bit of history, and this trike has history, its an 81 185s. He brought it to my place cause he had no spark. we replaced the pulse generator, and it had spark, it was running, but poorly and he took it home and had a "mechanic" adjust the valves and he cleaned the carb cause it was puking fuel out every hose. He brought it back to my place cause it had no spark after putting the motor back in the frame, we went through every part of the electrical and re-established spark. The machine refused to run, after checking the valves, (they were at minimum 1.5 turns to tight,) he took the machine back home cause I had other commitments to deal with that day. He now has a machine which, potentially has bent valves, cause I attempted to pull start it based on the fact a "mechanic" set the valves correctly. Or does it have other issues again dude???

oOGoFastOo
04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
check the compression and that should tell you if its a problem with the valves. the timing might be off if it has spark, compression, and fuel.

cr480r
04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Are you checking the valve lash with the cam follower on the base circle of the lobe?

ducati998
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
the qoute from darrell says every thing that we have done. I have checked all electrical, i just checked compression and its at 120 psi( it was running rough carb problem) what is valve lash? to my acknowledgement every thing was checked and re checked.

bigreddaddy
04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
the qoute from darrell says every thing that we have done. I have checked all electrical, i just checked compression and its at 120 psi( it was running rough carb problem) what is valve lash? to my acknowledgement every thing was checked and re checked.

So it runs now but rough? Did you go through your carb?