PDA

View Full Version : water in trans 85 250r Clutch slipping. Vent tube?

dansvan
04-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Hello all. Everytime I've ridden the 85 R I've gotten water in the trans oil. I've changed it everytime. The riding has been done in very wet areas with river crossings. Coolant has not gone down. Oil looks gray coming out. I can re-route the trans breather line higher. Dont think there is a crack in a case as there are no leaks. Last ride I tried to pull start it and the clutch slipped (cold) and wouldn't spin the motor over. I checked the tension on the clutch cable, it was tight. So I loosened it and it pull started fine. Later in the day it needed pull started as well, same thing, slipped. Only it was warm this time and it would slip in higher gears on the way back to the truck.

I bought a Hinson clutch basket and Barnett clutch kit. I took mine apart tonight expecting to find very worn clutches. They looked good. There were watermarks on the steels. The inner clutch hub looked a bit chewed up. No chunks in the bottom of the case. So now I'm curious. I'll put new seals on the water pump. I'll install the new clutch parts. What should I expect on the next ride?

Does anyone make a stronger inner clutch hub?