PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about using a different companies stock part? Pics in my latest post

i58829
04-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Sort of a long title, but its self explanatory. How do you guys feel about using stock or modified stock parts from one company on a machine of another brand? I'm talking larger items like forks, triple trees, brakes/hubs, swingarms, rear end assemblies, or even motor swaps.

Anyone have pics or the Do and Don'ts of retrofitting parts from past experiences?

I've got something brewing up in my mind, but i'd like to see what others have done before i give away what i'm thinking. Plus i'd like to see if it can be done before i make it sound like a great idea, TC...

SCEADU
04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I plan on using a KDX 220 engine in my 86 200x

evand
04-08-2008, 11:23 PM
i think its cool. never been a fan of motor swaps from brand to brand idk know why nothing wrong with them if there done rite. but other then that its cool:beer

TwoHundredEx
04-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't have any pics for you other than my engine swap but, I think it's cool too.
Not all companies make the best of everything, but each of them make something good, so why not take all those good parts and build a nice machine.

cr480r
04-09-2008, 12:08 AM
If the mod improves the performance of the machine who cares what anyone else thinks? Go for it....

300rman
04-09-2008, 12:48 AM
If the mod improves the performance of the machine who cares what anyone else thinks? Go for it....

Ditto.......

i58829
04-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Good deal, well here's my brief intro before i dive in to see if i can actaully make it work. I was looking at the pro-link 200x post, and i've been thinking about how to set up my tecate prjoect without the all of the stock rear end linkage (but the rear end will be addressed last in the project). I have an 86 triple tree on the way so i need to figure out some forks/front end stuff. And with the narrow forks i may remove the single radiator and use the ones from the R chassis, along with the honda tank and seat.

From my tape measure engineering i think i can make the tank setup using mostly bolt on brackets and the only welded part that would obstruct the installation of the stock tecate parts would be the sleeve for the R's rear tank/fender mounts. The rear fender mount will be made out of flat metal, w/2 holes that use the stock honda rubbers, and some sort of seat latch. The front tank/radiator brackets can be a bolt on setup that i wont need to weld anything on the frame itself. I will be picking up the R chassis after work today and should have some pics of madness late this evening...

Then later on it'd be covered in all black 250R plastics...

Yamada
04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
You got my vote.

maggiesboy
04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
thinking outside of the box creates some top notch (and sometimes evil) machines. Take Jason's project of the CR60 power plant in the zinger......good stuff.

oldred95
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't mind some of the smaller trim pieces and stuff like controls, lights, grab bar, things like that but when it comes to the actual engine, frame, suspension or drivetrain it stays all Honda. Now mix and matching different parts from different Honda's is another story.

i58829
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
oldred, i was kind of thinking along those lines, but the kawasaki parts are crazy hard to find for dirt cheap especially the 86 T3 stuff. So i picked up a 250R heart donor for pretty cheap. I bet this machine was crazy nice before it had the motor/wiring stolen for a trx. It has since sat outside for 2+ years, but i think i can get plenty of good parts out of it. It has pastics, front end 100% there including brakes and ohtsu tire, rear is missing brakes/shock but has all mounts. The frame is pretty nice as well but needs a couple new threads. Plus for 200.00 what do you expect. Pics to come later, i need to unload, clean a little, and mock up the parts...

Dirtcrasher
04-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I think it's fine to swap ANYTHING if you have the knowledge and tools.

Some guys chop frames, weld plates on and install CB450 engines, thats not a good swap, lol....

As long as it's done well and doesn't ruin the handling and or safety of the machine, it can't hurt to modify anything....

i58829
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Ok so issue #1 is the petcock is in the way of the exhaust, solution: move it, done deal

#2 do i want the honda radiators or not?? These pics will help explain, the tank will need to be pretty high up for the radiator to clear the header pipe. The pics with the tank 2 inches above the tube we taken to show the rad clearance.

The pics with the tank a little higher in the back, and the 3/8 extension under the front resting on the stem of the frame is how it could look w/stock T3 radiator. I prefer this look, and i can pick up the rear of the tank a little more.

The seat mount can be at any level i'd like so thats not a huge issue right now. It will have to have a honda style fender clip so i can start it with them off (kicks to the rear).

I'm pretty sure we have a couple chunks of aluminum in the scrap bin at work so i can make a 1 piece rear tank/seat mount that uses the two stock tecate plastic bolts. This can be seen in the pic of the back of the tank, the two bolts will hold on the aluminum, and it will go up and work just like the stock 250R mounts. This will make it so i can take it back to stock without any major mods.

The front tank mount will use the shaft from the stock tecate tank mounts, and if i decide to go with the 250R radiators then i will simply make a mounting plate with all of the holes included, so once again it wont require any welding.

Ok thats a lot to take in, but what do you guys think?? I'm pretty sure it will work, and look really good. I think right now i'm gonna keep the stock T3 radiator because i can mount the tank a lot lower in the back, and that means the seat will be 1 inch lower as well, TC...

cr480r
04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
why dont you use the honda chassis? changing the tank and plastic isnt going to fix any of the tecates mechanical issues...

i58829
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
That's a fair question but the tecate wouldn't be of much help if i built another 250r. i'd need to sell the tecate because the motor wouldn't fit due to the exhaust, and i already have a narrow front end set up on the way, in the end i dont have a good reason to build it this way but it's what i have available at the moment. I plan to do something different with the rear suspension but i just dont know how to go about it yet, so i'm gonna tackle that last...