PDA

View Full Version : how to get snapped stud out of cylinder

joe_f7
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
took all my studs out of my case and cylinder. all came out fine except one in my cylinder and it snapped off. any tricks to getting it out? can i helicoil it?

Name Brand
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
If any of the stud is sticking out you might be able to vise-grip it and remove it.

If it is below the surface, and your very good with a welder, you could weld just a small ball to the top of the stud. Keep welding balls (stacking) till you have enough to put a vise grip on. This has worked for me before on a 125m engine.

lndy650
04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
if its sticking out some tighten a nut on it and weld it from the top then you can turn it out with a wrench

joe_f7
04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
nothing is sticking out

honda250sx
04-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Unless you have a clue. Take it to a machine shop and have it done. Otherwise you will be sorry after you trash it. IMO

joe_f7
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
just seeing if anyone has had some success with a helicoil. used them many times before just not with a snapped stud.

tecat-z
04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Helicoils do work for some people. I prefer using time-serts. A little more involved to get them perfect, but they are the best solution to your problem.

joe_f7
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
never heard of them. i'll have to google it.

hondahaulic
04-08-2008, 11:05 PM
sometimes you can set a nut on top of the broken off stud and then fill the inside of the nut with weld, welding it to the stud. the weld will only stick to the steel nut and stud, and not the aluminum cylinder. Make sure you wait for it to cool down so it contracts, and if your lucky it will back out with a wrench.

Twilight
04-08-2008, 11:09 PM
get a screw extractor, like 2-5 bucks at a hardware place

joe_f7
04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
kind of worried about snapping off a screw extractor in the stud since the stud snapped off

TRITecate350
04-08-2008, 11:38 PM
sometimes you can set a nut on top of the broken off stud and then fill the inside of the nut with weld, welding it to the stud. the weld will only stick to the steel nut and stud, and not the aluminum cylinder. Make sure you wait for it to cool down so it contracts, and if your lucky it will back out with a wrench.
It you hit the broken stud with a hammer and punch, it might loosen or release the binding presure of the stud in the aluminum. Then ...... You might also want to place a thick and large diameter washer over it so you can weld it better, then weld the nut on the inside and outside to the washer. Like hondahaulic says, let it contract. After the cylinder is back to room temp, then I ussaully heat up the aluminum with a torch(try not to heat the stud) around the stud and then try turning it. Aluminum will expand faster than steel, just dont melt the aluminum.

cr480r
04-09-2008, 12:14 AM
I used 3 heli-coils for the head studs of my LT with no issues... even with much higher compression than stock... But I would try to avoid them if possible... I would definately try to weld a nut onto the stud and work the stud loose... use some heat and some good penetrant... work the stud back and forth.... it may take awhile... it may require welding on multiple nuts..

ants84olds
04-09-2008, 01:24 AM
get some left handed drill bits (sounds funny but im serious) and drill the stud. with those bits the drill runs in reverse and when you drill down so far it can sometimes grab the stud and back it out. works pretty good. soak it first with pb blaster.

stealthduner
04-09-2008, 04:09 AM
I had this exact problem with two studs. Do yourself a favor and have a machine shop do it, I had a screw extractor break off in mine and my machine shop wouldn't touch it (hardened material) I ended up finding another machine shop that had a an ultrasonic vibrator that got it out, then they installed two Heli-coils and they installed all 6 brand new honda studs so it would be fresh and I havent had any problems.

OH and some machine shops will charge you a REALLY high hourly rate (mine was $85 an hour) until they get a broken stud and screw extractor out. They quoted me a minimum of 2-3 hours. In my case i would have bought a new cylinder

joe_f7
04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
well that now happened to me. extractor broke off. hole is all chewed up trying to get it out. now i need to find a machine shop or a new cylinder. now that was fun.

cr480r
04-09-2008, 09:16 PM
well that now happened to me. extractor broke off. hole is all chewed up trying to get it out. now i need to find a machine shop or a new cylinder. now that was fun.

did you try welding a nut on it?

joe_f7
04-09-2008, 09:31 PM
would that work being that the stuck parts are set down in the cylinder a good 1/8"

lndy650
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
the weld wont stick to aluminum but the aluminum might melt if it gets too hot. set a nut on top and fill er up with weld its worth a shot if you already snapped and easyout off in there

joe_f7
04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
i'll have to see what my welder buddy thinks of that. i'll also be seeing what a machine shop says. can't find a 86 cylinder anywhere