PDA

View Full Version : 85 250 bigred running rich

Jonpin
04-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Iv rebuilt the carb the i dropped the needle was on 3rd notch now on the top one "im not sure of the correct name for it the one that works with the main jet" adjusted the screw on the front of the carb which i think it supposed to make it run lean or rich with no prevale it sux having to change the plug every time i ride i cant seem to figure it out ne ideas:idea: would be gladly excepted

Thoughts

exause is shitty has some holes in it and the spark aresor is floating around in it

air cleaner is not new but is not that bad looking

replaced choke plunger

put new jets in it aside from the main but it was a stock rebuild kit

could a coil become weak and not have a hot enough spark or are they just eaither working or dead?

bigreddaddy
04-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Try adjusting your PILOT screw on the carb. Start at about 1 1/2-2 turns out. Put the needle clip back to the middle position. How old is the air filter? Pull the spark arrestor out. Where are the holes at, in the muffler, pipe, or header? Sounds like you really need a new exhaust.
Also, is the plug dry black or wet/oily?

Jonpin
04-08-2008, 01:04 PM
yea the header pipe is fine theres a few holes in the muffler itself i tryed patching the holes with quick steel but some fell off, the plug is dry black and its a black smoke that comes out only on idle and smells like unburned gas then its fine after it revs up ,the air filter i couldnt tell u how old it is cause it came with the bike when i got it i know i should have changed that when i did the oil and filter soon as i got it ,"i used silkolene oil at 6$ a quart i think i got takin by a sales gimmic and in the end I just wanted to feel like i care about my trike cause i did try to fight it"

Jonpin
04-09-2008, 02:52 AM
tell u what this weekend im going to try to ride it a bit and take some pics to show the plug during the week i pretty much wake up go to work and come home and go to sleep