PDA

View Full Version : Axle bearings

SCEADU
04-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Ok ... I know you can't go to an auto parts store and ask for 85 honda ATC 250r axle bearings and expect them to find them in the computer, but has anyne ever tried and got a cross refrence?

DeePa
04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
hey, dont know the answer to your question, but any questions bout that carrier, let me know. i sent it to you haha.

Mike

SCEADU
04-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I do have a question.. Why didn't you send me a bigger t-shirt?

DeePa
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
hahahahah

best padding i could find and it was greasy as hell, so i used that t shirt to pick the carrier up...

SCEADU
04-04-2008, 07:55 PM
lol... can't say you won't give the shirt off your back for someone in need.

All kidding aside ...thanks for working it out..

lndy650
04-04-2008, 08:06 PM
my local napa usually has any size bearing i need sometimes they dont but its worth a try its far cheaper and they are good bearings

chris200x
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
If you have a bearings and drives unlimited or other industrial bearing supplier in your area check there. look in the yellow pages

Dads also sells all ball bearing kits fairly cheap here on the forums.

Dirtcrasher
04-04-2008, 08:32 PM
A 6007 and 6008 are the same size no matter who sells them to you. That same bearing is available at any bearing supplier and Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer and all the prices will be different. I have noticed that ALLOT of OEM bearings for different models are all made from the same manufacturer and lets face it, they lasted a long time.

BUT, stay away from bearings that are WAY cheaper. There are different tolerances involved in the bearing making process. I like SKF and NACHI amongst a few others. The EBAY bearings are allot of times a very cheap chinese produced bearing. Expect to pay about 10$ a bearing....

Beyond the bearing, the shaft OD is critical. It's meant to be a real good fit and most guys just slap it back together. Every axle I build I coat the inner race with "open gear compound", it is the thickest grease out there and made to stick to high speed gears. What it does, is it prevents water from getting between the inner race ID and the axle OD and stops the axle wear unless it gets ridden for a long time after bearing failure.