PDA

View Full Version : can u fill your tyres 1/2 way with water?

benb1984
04-03-2008, 01:20 AM
i been thinking when i go trail riding the trails we have are very steep and rocky and its hard to keep the front wheel, and get traction on the back, when they bounce they slip... so i thought if i filled it with water it could help keep the power down, do u think it would help? do u think the weight would be too much? and would i be able to pull it up going down the same hills? im only very light about 60kgs so my 250 es should be able to handel some one twice my size and i doubt ill get 60kg of water in them, and it would give it a really low centre of gravity... really really low.... any ideas would be great, if i can get the water into the tyre ill deffinnatly try it sometime

300rman
04-03-2008, 02:03 AM
you CAN do it, but i would think it would make your rims rot inside out.

maybe try a water/antifreeze mix for corrosion protection?

if you do it, be sure to give a ride report!

also, water will make bad vibrations at higher speeds.

super90
04-03-2008, 02:28 AM
if your running balloon tires ditch them and get some flat profile tires. They have a larger contact patch and wont bounce like balloons do. I never had a problem a few years ago when i had a little 110 with any bouncing or anything like that. Waters a bad idea I think, it would put all the weight in the back, and you said the front end wont stray down. It would rot your tires and rims over time and be very annoying splashing around in there.

300rman
04-03-2008, 02:37 AM
i didnt say it would last! i think hes talking aBout filling all 3.

and to get it out, you would need to dismount the tires........

cr480r
04-03-2008, 03:00 AM
Its easy to fill tires with water... But I doubt it would be safe at higher speeds... and the added unstable weight may be dangerous on terrain wild enough to need more traction... IMO its best left to farm equipment..

benb1984
04-03-2008, 06:13 AM
yeah im thinking now that it would swish back and forth pretty bad when u try to speed up or slow down, u never know tho, was just a thought...

lndy650
04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
On the farm we use calcium in tractor tires thats what you would want to use its heavy and dosent rot the rims out.

Threes company
04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
that might not be such a crazy idea. I think I remember the old Rokon 2 wheel drive dirt bikes were set up for this sort of thing.... do a search for Rokon and maybe it would help. For low speed riding over certain terrain would it give you a lower center of gravity? :beer

lndy650
04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
i think it would defenitly help keep the wheeler from flipping over

Fuzzy8766
04-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Water would also be more rotating mass and that alone would slow your trike. It would be like adding 3 or 4 people on the seat as far as power goes.

cr480r
04-03-2008, 11:35 AM
i think it would defenitly help keep the wheeler from flipping over

and completely crush the rider when it does...

Water would also be more rotating mass and that alone would slow your trike. It would be like adding 3 or 4 people on the seat as far as power goes.

braking would suffer as well...

lndy650
04-03-2008, 03:36 PM
the best bet would probly be to get 6 ply tires and fill em with slime that would add some weight and it wouldnt be sloshing around...but if you never do more than 20mph im sure calcium would work

Rustytinhorn
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM

Adding water would make the trike heavier, I agree with that, but does it really create rotating mass?? Think of a glass of water, when you spin the glass the water does not move. A bowl of cheerios with milk. Spin the bowl, but neither the cheerios or milk spin with the bowl, they stay stationary. Just a thought.

If you do, dont let it freeze on ya. lol

SYKO
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I say fillem with gas and do burnouts with screws in the tires should take care of your bouncing problem permanatly

hondahaulic
04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
When I got my 200s it somehow had one rear tire about 1/3 full of some nasty brown water. It caused a really bad wobble at high speed and made that side hop uncontrolably. It was just a trail pro, so to get the water out I punctured the tire with a nail and put about 15 psi in it with the hole at the bottom. Then i just stuck a tire plug in the hole and haven't had problems since

jeffatc250r
04-03-2008, 05:58 PM
I say fillem with gas and do burnouts with screws in the tires should take care of your bouncing problem permanatly

I was thinking the same! :idea:

Threes company
04-03-2008, 06:04 PM
It was just a trail pro, so to get the water out I punctured the tire with a nail and put about 15 psi in it with the hole at the bottom. Then i just stuck a tire plug in the hole and haven't had problems since

:lol: Will Trail-Pros ever get any respect? lol. :beer

Threes company
04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
This was an interesting question.... got me to thinking about those old 2 wheel drive rokons and I'm shocked to see they are still being produced. I thought there was something about water used in the tires... turns out they are actually hollow aluminum wheels in which you can store 4 gallons of water in each for ballast or even spare fuel! Beer? not sure, lol. Heres are the links if anyones interested. :beer http://www.rokonworld.com/history.html ... http://members.tripod.com/Manyringding/faq/#8

300rman
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM

i think that will solve all of your problems permanently.........:naughty: :naughty: :crazy:

oOGoFastOo
04-03-2008, 09:18 PM
calcium rots wheels also, tractors with calcium in the tires usually have tubes so the wheels don't rot out. also this is a bad idea! i did it once to a yamaha 200 three wheeler (the ones with the motor really far back in the frame) and i rode it once and drained it back out. the weight of the water inside the tires helped the front end stay down, but at higher speeds than about 15 mph the tires looked like they were going to rip off the wheels from the water getting throwm to the outside of the tires.

tri-Z ripper
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
:lol: CRAZIEST THING IVE EVER HEARD!!! :crazy: the concept is sound but as everybody has stated the vibration at speed never mind the extra weight, as well as if your going up a steep hill the water will roll back wards actually making it more likely to tip over backwards maybe only the front tire but at that point add a little weight to the front end maybe using i dont know a weight or some stell?:wondering just my 2c:beer

bkrose0
04-03-2008, 10:26 PM
damn this is a stupid ideal. Do not do it if you know any physics at all your gonna get hurt. It you want to add weight I would recommed fix a flat of something of this nature. It not going to be alot but it will be safe. Do not fill it with water!!!

The Goat
04-04-2008, 06:07 AM
okay...the whole rotating mass thing. any weight on a tire or rim acts as though a weight 1.6 times that amount has been added to the bike. so simpy adding a few gallons of water in the front tire honestly wouldn't hurt the bike THAT much. If you really wanted to do it, you could jack up the front of your trike and use a special adapter to fill your front tire with silicon. it will add weight, not cause highspeed issues of even erratic handling. we did it in an old set of cart tires a few years ago...made them puncture proof.

UlsterATCFan
04-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Come on chaps, these things weren't designed to have their tyres filled with water, I wouldn't even dream of attempting it. Just my humble opinion :acr