PDA

View Full Version : L@@K!! uni review!

plkmonster2
06-07-2003, 11:34 AM
ok, i will try to do a complete as possible.

here we go... i ordered 2 uni filters from DK a couple weeks ago, and got 1 of them in last friday. the quality looked excelent, i really liked how the prefilter would seperate from the main filter. this one was for my 200e, yamaha.

PREP for 200e
i had some duratrax rc car filter oil left, so i used it. worked very nice, and the filter soaked up the oil better than stock. one complaint tho is that they are a little short, and you have to work them to get a nice fit and a good seal. besides that, i think that they are 5 times better than stock.

PREP for 225dr
last wednesday, i got the one for my 225dr in. it was built better than stock, and it had a better foam backing, which gives you a better seal. it also was a bit short, and had to be coached onto the cage. i dicieded to use the silkolene oil i got from the LYS(local yammie shop) on that filter. WARNING! the stuff is very hard to get off your hands, and you have to work with it quik, or too much oil will slightly dry up and clog your filter. i tryed dishsoap 5 times and the color stain wouldn't come off my hands, and the scent was still there. unlike the 200e filter, the 225 filter would not seperate due to the foam deal on 1 side.

PERFORMANCE
no its time for a performance review. since my 200e isn't running, i won't include it. later i will tray to get one up. when i first started up my 225dr, the engine would be cold, and it would bog a bit, if you gave it too much gas. sometimes in cold weather, you would have to restart it. with the uni, i pulled the pull start with a little force, and it awakened! i gave it a couple shots a acceleration. no more bogging! then i was going slowly in 3rd, and then floored it. the clutch ingaged, and the engine was strong. usually it would be sluggish, no matter how clean the stock filter was. then i tried the drag strip. i clicked and held the shifter in first, gave it some gas, then let it all fly. the engine kept on going, floored from 1st to 5th. the acceleration rate was well improved. it probably took me 2/3 the distatnce to get to 5th gear, and again the engine kept strong, while it would usually lag a bit in the mid throttle range.

VERDICT
these filters are very good, probably the best. i really like how u can clean them and clean them, unlike a paper filter. besides that they are a bit short, i would go for em. they allow better airflow, which gave me the added horsies. they are also built better than stock, and grip the cage better. the prefilter it a bit more open than the main filter, which helps airflow. finally, pick one up! for only 10-20 dollars and for that price, thy would have to be the best upgrade availible.

thanks! plk