PDA

View Full Version : Low budget mods for the 350X

Russell 350X
03-30-2008, 01:51 AM
What mods can I do to my X that won't cost me a arm and a leg? I don't want a aftermarket exaust, I like how its quiet now. Any ideas?

300rman
03-30-2008, 02:18 AM
i would think an aftermarket headpipe with the stock muffler would increase the HP without increasing sound? it would take a little modding to get the pipe to fit the smaller muffler, but i doubt it would be too hard.
and i doubt it would change the loudness of it much, maybe 2 or 3 DB's.

other than that, an upgraded carb, cam, porting......uh....i think thats it. maybe higher compression, but im not familiar with 4 stroke mods, so i dont know how to go about that one, other than a new piston. and too high compression = expensive race gas.

super90
03-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Aftermarket header without the muffler wouldnt really do much I dont think? Since it would be restricted as soon as it gets to the smaller inlet. But dont take my word, if you want to try it you could probably weld some shims on it and adapt it, or even a cone shaped piece of metal off an old pipe. Theres alot of stuff to do to it, but it wont get very technical without spending some dough. You could take the airbox lid off, rejet it and find a better flowing pipe, I just remembered you could install a supertrapp, white bros, or fmf megamax universal with discs to control the noise output too. Theres always the bigger carb, port and polish, hotter cam, high compression piston, stroker ect.

300rman
03-30-2008, 02:50 AM
true, a larger headpipe wont give as much performance gain with the stock muffler as with an aftermarket, but it will give a bit more power no doubt.

threewheelin-feelin
03-30-2008, 02:52 AM
10.25to1 wiseco piston...and a bolt in race cam make sure its "bolt in" and wont require different springs...those are probly the easiest mods

lndy650
03-30-2008, 09:12 AM
if you ever want to go big i know where to get a 452 big bore for 350-400$$ and it makes an incredible difference. i've never dynoed mine but with porting and exhaust people claim they make over 40hp

Bryan Raffa
03-30-2008, 09:33 AM
wanna try fitting a stock 450r silencer on it ..it should open it up some and keep it quiet..I have one Im not going to use.. even got a chrome tip! good for 4.2 hp! lol........

Dirtcrasher
03-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Budget you say??

Pop off the airbox lid, add one tooth to the front sprocket, pop on a 400EX carb and run a 450R silencer with the HRC tip.

It is NOT much louder than stock at all, and it can all be done for about 100$.

brapp
03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
drop a 450r motor in it lol

tri-Z ripper
03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
HE said BUDGET braaap! sorry to jack thread but we all need to get together for a ride soon!! im having a birhtday party end of april 26 to be exact i have a sandpit right next to my house nothing special but good enough to tool around on!! not as much room as raffas but one extra bedroom and 2 couches and alittle more floor space! anyone interested in coming? But hell for a budget you could open up the exhuast alittle by taking put some packing out of the silencer just enough to open it up and not make it as loud as chris200X cobra!!

brapp
03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
hey russ i think i ahve my stock 450r muffler down there yet. i'll have to look.

Russell 350X
03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Like I said, low budget, I'm a poor collage kid. So a 400EX carb bolts right on? And what mods need to be done to get the 450R silencer to fit?

Dirtcrasher
03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I have won at least 3 450R silencers for .99c. Another 25$ or so for the HRC tip.

You just need to warm up the rubber boots a bit for the 400EX carb to fit. I am able to run the 400EX main jet, 350X pilot drilled out a bit and the needle raised one notch. You CANNOT run the airbox lid if you jet it correctly. It has some really good great gains for short money.

The 45Or silencer needs a midpipe. I made my own mig welding the stock silencer pipe to the 450R headpipe and had to heat it up a bit to get the right angle. I also made alower bracket for the big 450R can. Some guys skip that part but it is not a light silencer and it needs 2 mounts.

Some guys mount up the silencer and head down to the muffler shop, a few guys have got one made for about 25$.

lndy650
03-30-2008, 01:21 PM
i bought a cobra exhaust for mine and it was fairly quiet not the cobra jet exhaust just the black megaphone one the cobra jet is ear piercing!