PDA

View Full Version : 200x shock rebuilding

super90
03-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Is the 86 200x shock rebuildable? I just got a 2001 300ex shock from a friend, and it does fit with very minimal modifications. Its the same size as the 200x shock but with more travel. It was very very plush and seemed to ride excellent, but it did leak some oil around the shaft so I scraped the idea. The 200x shock seems superior in almost every way it looks. The 300ex shock looks to be built very cheap, non rebuildable, and the mounts are only spot welded :eek: My 200x shock does leak some oil around the shaft very slowly and dosent spring back up fast, but when I push down on it it makes a squishing noise. It also seems very stiff compared to the 300ex shock. I was wondering if it would be worth it to get the 200x shock rebuilt or use another 300ex shock. Would rebuilding it fix the uncurable stiffness and odd noises?

MTS
03-28-2008, 01:24 AM
rebuilding a shock is nothin, its just seals, oil, bit of n20 and setting the piston heigt, assuming the shaft isnt bent or all the crome wore off it.

super90
03-29-2008, 12:05 AM
The shock is all fine just it leaks some and it is very very stiff. I dont know if it was setup for a heavier rider but it barely moves going over bumps and I weight 170 lbs. Also just notices when you push it down and let it back up it makes a knocking sound along with a squishing sound. Im not sure how these shocks were stock but it needs fixed. How much would it cost to get it setup for my weight along with a rebuild? estimating?

ebecme01
03-29-2008, 02:30 PM
have you adjusted the rebound? mine have all been far from stiff, i wish they were more stiff actually, and Im lighter than you. I would say yours is useable the way it is but needs adjusted. In my experience when a 200X shock is bad, its all spring and bounces like a trampoline. the adjustment is on the bottom for rebound and the collar on the top is for compresson stiffness.

super90
03-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Yep I went through that whole procedure to no avail. I tried medium stiffness, to soft. Its still very harsh. I rode on a stock raptor 700 today and the suspension actually moves over bumps unlike mine. Mine basically just throws you all over the place. My friend weighs a good 200 lbs and his suspension is super stiff but seems like it works great for him. Im guessing it was very stiff from the factory, or someone had it revalved to there liking. Also I think the wheel spacers have something to do with it. When I had them off it seemed like it rode much nicer than it does now.

OldSchoolin86
03-29-2008, 08:57 PM
If you're low on fluid the adjustments won't work properly. That knocking can be air. What do you have the sag set at? You want to be in the 35-40% range, sometimes more. Always set sag first then compression and rebound.

Dirtcrasher
03-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Forget the 300EX shock, rebuild the shock that Honda put on there...

I was checking my stock yesterday, I have 1 new and 4 used 86/87 200X shocks :D

A member her sold me a POS one and I'm gonna take that one apart, I'll take some pics for ya!

bigpimpin
03-30-2008, 11:01 AM
rebuilding a shock is nothin, its just seals, oil, bit of n20 and setting the piston heigt, assuming the shaft isnt bent or all the crome wore off it.

where do one get the seals?

MTS
03-30-2008, 01:10 PM
where do one get the seals?

90% of the time, i find honda still has them kickin around, if i had some samples, i could dig out some Fox ones, its just a few fancy o-rings

super90
03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
A member her sold me a POS one and I'm gonna take that one apart, I'll take some pics for ya!

Thanks! :beer its nice to know what im getting into before I start ripping things apart.