PDA

View Full Version : Rear drum brake

Ryan2112
03-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Hello. i have a 82 ATC200.. my rear brakes ran out and i want to replace the shoes. i took the hub off the axle, i took the axle nut and lock nut off, and the drum brake cover. the drum seems to be seized on i tried to pull it off/pry it off but no dice. any ideas???

hondahaulic
03-28-2008, 12:49 AM
first, make sure the chain and chain guard is off. then, screw that outer castlnut back on the axle but backwards just so its flush with the end of the axle. then set a block of wood up to it, and pound the axle out of the frame (it will come out the left side). these can be pretty stubborn, alot of penetrating oil can help

bigreddaddy
03-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Make sure there aren't any screws holding the drum on. They might be hidden under dirt/mud. You have to use a good hammer and pound around the drum while trying to rotate it, pull, etc.

smvorndran
03-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I had an 85 250 Big Red a few years ago that the drum was seized on the shaft. I made some pieces so I could use a 3 jaw gear puller on it, and it wouldn't budge. I ended up spending about 2 hours cutting it off. Never did see what was holding it up, but after I split the collar, it finally came off. Anti-seize on the new one, and it slid right on. Good luck. Honda should have added some type of puller device to them.

smvorndran

longbedGTs
03-29-2008, 12:38 PM
IIRC, theres a little o-ring that sits in a grove. You have to remove the oring first.

aldochina
03-29-2008, 12:49 PM
hey longbed nice 200e what did you use on the fork lowers +rims.I'm doing an 83200e, and iv'e painted fork lowers twice already and still dont like the color