PDA

View Full Version : power valve dis/re assembly instructions needed

danimal95
03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
i tore apart my 86 T3 tonight with the sneaking suspicion that there was a problem,and sure enough other than the pv being all gummed up and not moving smoothly,the nikisil coating is worn off in places and the piston is scuffed up:cry: so i really need the instruction manual on how the pv system is removed and reinstalled.but more importantly i could use some refferals on who can do the replating job for me,in a decent time frame and a decent price,thanks in advance
-Dan

lndy650
03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
US Chrome did a nice job on mine but it was around $200 and i havent found a cheaper place yet...these companys are crazy the prices they charge:mad: :crazy:

300rman
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
that sucks it has to be plated to run........

lndy650
03-27-2008, 11:07 PM
ya know something that really suprized me i have a kdx 80 and theres more aluminum showing than nickisil and ive ran it for a LONG time like that it had 110 for compression when i put it together and it has 110 now (120 hot) i rev the piss out of it too

danimal95
03-27-2008, 11:07 PM
US Chrome did a nice job on mine but it was around $200 and i havent found a cheaper place yet...these companys are crazy the prices they charge:mad: :crazy:

i just found them on the net,turns out they are 2hours from my house,hopefully they have saturday hours and i can save on the shipping charges:D

danimal95
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
ya know something that really suprized me i have a kdx 80 and theres more aluminum showing than nickisil and ive ran it for a LONG time like that it had 110 for compression when i put it together and it has 110 now (120 hot) i rev the piss out of it too

yeah there is quit a bit of aluminum showing im actually suprised it ran as well as it did:confused: im hoping this rebuild will restore the bottom end power this thing lacks,which im sure it will:Bounce

lndy650
03-27-2008, 11:11 PM
it feels good to know you have a brand new topend too:D

danimal95
03-27-2008, 11:12 PM
i was tinking about cleaning up some of the rough casting in the intake and exhaust before i send it out ,any tips?......i wont be touching the ports that will affect timing,just the reed area and the exhaust merge after the cylinder

300rman
03-27-2008, 11:12 PM
i just found them on the net,turns out they are 2hours from my house,hopefully they have saturday hours and i can save on the shipping charges:D

sorry dude, but ill bet its cheaper to ship it than it is to drive there, drop off, drive home, drive back, pick it up and drive back home....thats 8 hours of driving, not to mention gas.........ill bet it would be cheaper to ship it for 40 dollars each way than to buy the gas....let alone the time you lose.......

lndy650
03-27-2008, 11:14 PM
never hurts to clean up the ports

danimal95
03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
it feels good to know you have a brand new topend too:D

this is true....what kind of life expectancy can i expect before it needs another recoating?provided i run a good oil and conservative tune...from the looks of it,it is still on the original piston and bore but until i measure it i wont know for sure

danimal95
03-27-2008, 11:16 PM
sorry dude, but ill bet its cheaper to ship it than it is to drive there, drop off, drive home, drive back, pick it up and drive back home....thats 8 hours of driving, not to mention gas.........ill bet it would be cheaper to ship it for 40 dollars each way than to buy the gas....let alone the time you lose.......

your propobly right,but the wifes car does get damn good mileage:eek: or i could take my car(see sig)and get there in about 20 minutes:beer

danimal95
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
anyway if any of you guys have a pdf file of the pv assembly it would be greatly appreciated if you could send a copy my way,thanks

lndy650
03-27-2008, 11:28 PM
nikisil lasts a lot longer than cast iron
if your jetting is good and you use good oil it could last you a very long time. my tecate had a 300 big bore installed in 87 and its still in great shape now

300rman
03-27-2008, 11:29 PM
well, assuming your car gets 30 MPG, and you travel 2 hours at 60 miles an hour, thats 4 gallons there and 4 gallons back. multiply that by 2 for the trip to pick up the cylinder, and thats 16 gallons of fuel.......multiply 16 by 3.25 per gallon to get 52 bucks for gas....52 DOLLARS FOR GAS! plus the time invested and variables, its probably 10 to 15 dollars for USPS PRIORITY, but since they are SO CLOSE, UPS GROUND will probably get there just as fast, but for about 6 or 7 dollars to ship......

verdict: UPS GROUND is probably your best bet.

unless your looking for a reason to make a road trip anyways.

lndy650
03-27-2008, 11:33 PM
ya but taking it there and picking it up will be faster than shipping. i always prefered to drive. gas is outragous though i remember when it was a dollar a gallon

300rman
03-27-2008, 11:46 PM
ya but taking it there and picking it up will be faster than shipping. i always prefered to drive. gas is outragous though i remember when it was a dollar a gallon

true, but a day to get there and a day to get back is well worth the 40 dollars saved, plus you can use the 8 hours saved to tinker with other projects, or inspect other questionable areas on the bike being worked on.

danimal95
03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
well, assuming your car gets 30 MPG, and you travel 2 hours at 60 miles an hour, thats 4 gallons there and 4 gallons back. multiply that by 2 for the trip to pick up the cylinder, and thats 16 gallons of fuel.......multiply 16 by 3.25 per gallon to get 52 bucks for gas....52 DOLLARS FOR GAS! plus the time invested and variables, its probably 10 to 15 dollars for USPS PRIORITY, but since they are SO CLOSE, UPS GROUND will probably get there just as fast, but for about 6 or 7 dollars to ship......

verdict: UPS GROUND is probably your best bet.

unless your looking for a reason to make a road trip anyways.

*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* dude it was just a joke:wondering

300rman
03-28-2008, 12:15 PM
*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* dude it was just a joke:wondering
lol i just like pointing out that gas aint cheap! people think shipping costs are astronimical.....well go try to take that package even 2 hours away, and suddenly 20 bucks to go across the country aint bad at all.