PDA

View Full Version : clutch slippage on 200x

yam175
06-06-2003, 05:00 PM
on an 83 200x, the 4 bolts on the clutch, where should they be at? somebody had them all the way in before, and i turned them out a few turns, and the clutch worked until i went out riding, then it slipped really bad, i could only idle to move any more gas just reved the motor up. i was wondering if theres a certain amount of turns they have to be set at?

speed20
06-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Nope....They have to be tightened down tightly....not sure of the specification of the #torque but as long as they are tight it should work....could also be in your clutch adjustment (side of engine case or clutch handle) Keep me updated

NOS_350X
06-06-2003, 05:12 PM
all the way in sould be the only place they should be set at you just need new fiber plates the steel one ruff them up on some simi rough concrete (take the discolertation out of them

yam175
06-06-2003, 05:30 PM
hey, when the screws are all the way in, no matter what the adjustments are on the side of the engine case or the lever itself are, the clutch wont work its just always engaged. i can move the hand lever in and out freely, the only spring i can feel is the small one on the lever that goes down into the case. it only started working once i loosened up those 4 bolts on the clutch

jeswinehart
06-06-2003, 09:40 PM
i have been back and forth reading my manual and re-reading your post and can't figure out why it's doing such a thing. only thing i can come up with is the clutch lifting mechinism is in backwards. short side is supposed to be sticking out from center of clutch basket.

you have a manual ? if not i can e-mail some info about the clutch parts.

john

yam175
06-07-2003, 10:18 PM
hey, no i dont have a manual yet, if you could email me itd be greatly appreciated stang01gt@aol.com thanks

triM
03-10-2004, 02:18 AM
on an 83 200x, the 4 bolts on the clutch, where should they be at? somebody had them all the way in before, and i turned them out a few turns, and the clutch worked until i went out riding, then it slipped really bad, i could only idle to move any more gas just reved the motor up. i was wondering if theres a certain amount of turns they have to be set at?

I'm having the same problem. Did anyone figure out the answer to this question?

triM
03-13-2004, 02:36 AM
I'm dying here... I'm tearing my hair out, and I just can't figure this out. I really need someone’s help, 'cause I need to get this trike running by next weekend and I'm just about ready to go to the shop and pay $70 an hour...
So, I pulled the clutch apart, and it all looks good; I did all the inspections as listed in the repair manual. When I pulled it apart though, there were a bunch of washers behind the clutch lifter plate on the bolts, presumably put in by the last person who had the clutch apart.
So I got rid of those, but then realized that the clutch lifter would not reach the mechanism on the crank case cover that engages the clutch, it’s maybe an eighth to a quarter of an inch short.
I’ve checked and double-checked that all components of the clutch are installed properly, and I can’t figure this out, and nobody I talked has an idea either. It sounds like the originator of this thread had the same problem, but I haven’t heard from him.
I’ve seen all the posts here on the Clutches of these machines, so I know you guys are familiar with this – any thoughts?????

TimSr
03-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Are you sure you have the correct number of disks and plates installed? One too many of either would do exactly what you are describing.

triM
03-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanx for the response TimSr
I did check that. There are 5 friction discs and 4 clutch plates in there, so it looks all good. Other parts all check out too, I think I have everything in there.
Any other thoughts?

bobr
03-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Wrong cable maybe? Bob

ATCnut
03-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Washers under the springs is a old trick to get a little more life out of a clutch that is shot. Did you try it without the washers??

triM
03-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanx for adding your thoughts guys.

The cable seems OK because it is working properly, i.e. pulling the clutch mechanism on the crank case cover.

As for the washers being used to extend the life of an otherwise worn clutch, like I said earlier, all plates are the right thickness and don't look worn. I am however going to work on this problem today, and I am going to double check all components to see if there is any issues with the thickness of the plates or length of the springs. Thanx for the input ATCnut.

It's still baffling me, because everything in the clutch looks very new. Whoever had this trike before really took care of it and it seem really clean, and other than the clutch it should run great. Can't wait!

I will be posting pics as soon as it's all back together