PDA

View Full Version : PWK overflows only when I kick the motor over...

Billy Golightly
03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
This is a weird one, never had it happened before. The float is not sticking because it does not overflow when its just sitting, and its not filling up the crankcase but as soon as I turn the motor over it it pees out every cycle. I've switched from the 38PWK it was doing it on to my 39, and its still doing it, weird as hell. Any ideas? The needle isn't sticking in the seat at all from what I can tell, I've had the bowl off, the needle out, it moves freely up and down in the seat with the float, so I dunno.

Erics350x
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
check your reeds

Billy Golightly
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Done. Good and flat on the cage, no broken or chipped ends.

atctim
03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
is your exhaust free flowing? I've never heard of this problem- but is it maybe back pressuring out the intake?

Billy Golightly
03-27-2008, 01:32 PM
exhaust is free and clear. I had it running last night. On Planet sand someone posted that maybe the needle was getting knocked loose from the seat while I was kicking it. That seems possible from as hard as it is to turn over, I might try bending down the float a little and see what happens.

max
03-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Try adjusting the floats

HondaHarry
03-27-2008, 04:40 PM
if your motor is rotated forward in the frame the carb could be at too steep of angle holding the float open some and kicking it makes it hang open? that's the only thing I can think of that would make 2 different carbs do the same thing... I dunno just a thought. HH

cr480r
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Try adjusting the floats

float level too high.. kicking over the the engine might be bouncing the carb just enough to make it spill over..

TRITecate350
03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
are you running a pulse activated fuel pump?

Billy Golightly
03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Nope, no fuel pump, and the engine angle is pretty much the same as it was in the CR frame. I lowered the float height some and it seemed to help but it still does it a bit. Like I said though, doesn't do it when its running, or when your not kicking it, just when the engines being cycled through.

Jason Hall
03-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Billy, It sound to me like the float is just to high and the jiggling of the bike Is causing It to overflow when you kick It.

I put a carb on my buddys KX250, because It would do the same thing as yours. His has a HUGE oversized gas tank. This tank Is almost as big as a oil tanker lol. No matter what I do, I can't stop It. The weight of the gas pushing against the needle Is just to much. The float can't stop It when your kicking It over.

brapp
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
yeah billy try a new needle or adjustign the float my 92 cr500 did the exact same thing and try turnign the fuel off once the bowl is full while you start it and onc eits runnign it shoudl be fine.

NOS_350X
03-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Its your reeds, had the same problem with my 500 at first. Get a higher tension reed. Another way to check is take off the air filter or boot, on the back of the carb, start it and put a piece of paper by the carb, if it sucks it in *Edited**Edited* reeds might be ok, But if it blows back thats defently your problem. You gota do it at an idle.

TRITecate350
03-29-2008, 01:18 AM
A new Sprock Racing billet float bowl might do the trick! :)

NOS_350X
03-29-2008, 02:50 AM
A new Sprock Racing billet float bowl might do the trick! :)

Pics?? Im going to alky on my Shee and i want big bowls, but have a problem, the boysen ones i got hit my clutch arm. I want to do the big bowls so i can keep the stock petcock dont want to get a pingel.